Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Caseta Dimmer Switch - Flickering LED Light

Caseta Dimmer Switch - Flickering LED Light

HI
    I just installed the Caseta dimmer switch that connects to Wink and smart hub in my bedroom. I have 6 LED lights that total to about 78 Watts. I've noticed that at the max setting a couple lights will occassionaly flicker.
    At the lowest setting a different set of lights will do the same.
    Is there any solution? Did I do something wrong?

What lights are you using? Are they on the Lutron approved list? That will help narrow the problem down.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Hi:
    Yes apparently they are approved. The are utilitech DLS02-06A27D1E-WH-F2

I'll have to wait for a Lutron member chimes in, but there is a low end trim that you can use on the one dimmer that has problems on the low end. I believe there is a high end trim, but may be wrong on that. Do you have any motor type loads (ceiling fan, exhaust fan, dryer, etc.) on the same circuit? Sometimes those will cause problems with the dimming, especially if the neutrals are shared.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I'll recheck the wiring tomorrow. We have no ceiling fans or dryers. An exhaust fan may be on it. I am not sure we are plugged in to the neutral. The switch had two black and one green for earth, no neutral wires.

Lutron Technical Support
    It looks like that bulb is on our approved list. You can adjust both the high-end and low-end trims to try and eliminate the flickering. Here is a link to the instructions on how to adjust the limits: http://www.casetawireless.com/Docume...ced%20Inst.pdf . See page 35 for adjusting the low-end trim, and page 36 for adjusting the high-end trim.

No luck. Two of the lights seem to dim and go back to a brighter setting at all levels. I'm trying to test out why, but the exhaust fan isn't running. TV is on, but it doesn't always happen when the tv is on.
    Any other solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by OmerNisar View Post
    No luck. Two of the lights seem to dim and go back to a brighter setting at all levels. I'm trying to test out why, but the exhaust fan isn't running. TV is on, but it doesn't always happen when the tv is on.
    Any other solutions?
    I'm having the same issue. It only seems to happen on LEDs when there are 4 or more in a series. Still well below the wattage max. Did you ever find a solution? Also it seems to happen to me all the time after about an hour or so of use.

I am wondering if the supply to the LED lights (out of the dimmer) is oscillating.
    Have you tried adding an incandescent light to the string to see if that quiets them down?
    Which dimmer are you using (2-wire or 3-wire with neutral connection)? I suspect the three wire will perform better.
    Have you tried adding the Minimum Load Capacitance (MLC) to the output of the dimmer.
    If it is a particular LED light, does the problem move with the light if you swap them around?

10. Likes K-n-C liked this post