Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 4 way using macl-153m

4 way using macl-153m

I'm trying to put in a dimmer switch and when I got home I noticed that the new dimmer switch requires 2 companion switches that I didn't obtain. Asher I get the companion switches is thee an easy way to install the master switch in the middle? Ty

Quote Originally Posted by k9jws View Post
    I'm trying to put in a dimmer switch and when I got home I noticed that the new dimmer switch requires 2 companion switches that I didn't obtain. Asher I get the companion switches is thee an easy way to install the master switch in the middle? Ty
    Starting at the power end, have power in on the black and out to the next device/load on the brass. The blue terminal is used for communication so they should all be connected. I use the red because it is easier to follow through the circuit.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Cool Maestro confusion, feed, load, companions, and master

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Starting at the power end, have power in on the black and out to the next device/load on the brass. The blue terminal is used for communication so they should all be connected. I use the red because it is easier to follow through the circuit.
    Talk about a rabbit hole. LOL. I had a 3-way (Power and Load on one side), 4-way, and a 3-way switch in my old circuit. I see I cannot retain my 4-way switch and use Maestro dimmer. So, I purchased two companion dimmers.I have read somewhat conflicting information on these Maestro dimmers, as far as wiring, flagging, and placement of 'master' in the chain. Some have stated you can have master anywhere in chain, and a Lutron document states master dimmer, refered to as 'dimmer' should be on the load end of the chain. My master is motion activated, and I prefer the motion be at end of the chain. I can run a load to this location to my light. I have read somewhere that the dimmers and can interchanged in locations between master and companions.I purchased 1 x MSCL-OP153MH-WH (motion dimmer), and two companions (MA-RR-WH).I have traced all wires and gave them an ID letter, so I can exactly wire, as needed. If I'm going to run a new load to my lights, I want to make sure I get it right.Does the feed power need to start at the master or companion? Must companion or master be at feed end, or load end? Thanks!

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hi MacEwen,The Lutron Maestro MSCL-OP153M can be wired in any of the 3 locations you have that control the load. The major requirement for that application is that you are using the Lutron companion dimmers in the other two locations that also control the same load. Any issues with the installation, please give us a call at Lutron technical support @ 1-888-Lutron1 (588-7661) Hope this helps! -Justin F.