Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Can a change of airflow effect occupancy switches?

Can a change of airflow effect occupancy switches?

I installed Lutron occupancy switches in my home in 3 bathrooms and 3 closets which initially seemed to work correctly. Since my DIY skills are limited at best, I later hired an electrician to do other electrical work in my home. It seems like my occupancy switches haven't worked correctly ever since. While I seldom have issues with the closet lights, the bathroom lights frequently turn on when the the AC shuts off; when I close the door to my guest bedroom or there's a strong wind outside. A second electrician told me it was related to a power serge from the AC turning off. However, this doesn't explain closing the bedroom door or wind outside.Has anyone ever experienced this issue and, if so, is there a simple fix?If there is already a post about this issue, I missed it.Thank you,sfvalguy

Quote Originally Posted by sfvalguy View Post
    I installed Lutron occupancy switches in my home in 3 bathrooms and 3 closets which initially seemed to work correctly. Since my DIY skills are limited at best, I later hired an electrician to do other electrical work in my home. It seems like my occupancy switches haven't worked correctly ever since. While I seldom have issues with the closet lights, the bathroom lights frequently turn on when the the AC shuts off; when I close the door to my guest bedroom or there's a strong wind outside. A second electrician told me it was related to a power serge from the AC turning off. However, this doesn't explain closing the bedroom door or wind outside.Has anyone ever experienced this issue and, if so, is there a simple fix?If there is already a post about this issue, I missed it.Thank you,sfvalguy
    The in-wall motion sensors require a good ground or neutral connection (depending on model). If your device has a neutral make sure it is being used.

Hot objects or moving air currents can affect the sensor. You can try adjusting the sensitivity. It's pretty simple but the procedure varies slightly by model.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Certain plants also effect motion sensors...small palms, especially.