Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-5ANS/6ANS not turning on Feit Electric LED 5"- 6" Retrofit/exhaust fan.

PD-5ANS/6ANS not turning on Feit Electric LED 5"- 6" Retrofit/exhaust fan.

Hi All,So I previously had another smart switch hooked up in the bathroom and the wife wanted the same look throughout the house. Since everywhere else had Lutron Caseta's, I switched it out to the PD-5ANS. My issue I'm having for this location is that the light does not come on unless I hit the power on button, full out the FASS tab and push it back in. The lights will then come on and work like normal for the time being. I haven't sat there to test how long. When I come back later on in the day, it does not work until I repeat the FASS tab thing again.My other problem is that the exhaust fan I have is having the same issue. I've tried on both a PD-5ANS and a PD-6ANS. Will only turn on if I pull out the FASS tab. The led light i'm trying to control is a single Feit Electric LED 5"- 6" Retrofit from Costco. It works in other parts of the house with multiple leds on this same model switch. The exhaust fan i'm trying to control is a Broan brand. Not sure of the model.

You have probably tried these but...

Make sure you have the neutral connected. If the neutrals in the box are separated make sure you use the correct one.

The 5ANS/6ANS is polarity sensitive. Make sure power comes in on the black and goes out to the load on the red. Nothing should be attached to the blue.

The switch should work with a single light but you may need the LUT-MLC (minimum load capacitor).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I know it's all wired correctly with neutrals. I've installed these all through out the house. This is the first time installing in a bathroom though. Had to get the 6ans for the main shower exhaust fan to work. I called the support line and they were saying something about there needing to have a minimum of 1.5 amps for it to work correctly. So my one light fixture is only using 11 watts and my exhaust fan may be an energy efficient one. I'll try a LUT-MLC. I think I may have one from some previous installs. If that doesn't work, I may have to spring for the ELV dimmers. Just not sure how that works for an exhaust fan.

Quote Originally Posted by tveee View Post
    I know it's all wired correctly with neutrals. I've installed these all through out the house. This is the first time installing in a bathroom though. Had to get the 6ans for the main shower exhaust fan to work. I called the support line and they were saying something about there needing to have a minimum of 1.5 amps for it to work correctly. So my one light fixture is only using 11 watts and my exhaust fan may be an energy efficient one. I'll try a LUT-MLC. I think I may have one from some previous installs. If that doesn't work, I may have to spring for the ELV dimmers. Just not sure how that works for an exhaust fan.
    Wow! 1.5 amps is 180 watts and there is nothing Lutron makes that has that high of a minimum load. The published spec for the 6ANS is 10 watts of incandescent, magnetic low voltage or ELV. 0.1 amp fan, 1 LED or 1 fluorescent ballast.

It could be that you don't have a good neutral. Not all white wires are neutral. You can test by measuring between the hot and neutral. You should get ~120 volts.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Wow! 1.5 amps is 180 watts and there is nothing Lutron makes that has that high of a minimum load. The published spec for the 6ANS is 10 watts of incandescent, magnetic low voltage or ELV. 0.1 amp fan, 1 LED or 1 fluorescent ballast. It could be that you don't have a good neutral. Not all white wires are neutral. You can test by measuring between the hot and neutral. You should get ~120 volts.
    That's what I was thinking when she said 1.5 amps. Maybe I misheard her. I did measure and it was 120 volts. Can't be my wiring since I just took out another GE branded smart switch from the same location. Was working great. Might have to put those back in. For now, I've just been turning it on and pulling out the tabs and pushing it back in for the lights/fan to work.