Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ceiling fan with LED lights on a single switch

Ceiling fan with LED lights on a single switch

I purchased a DVCL-153P dimmer switch in the hope I could use it to dim the lights on my ceiling fan on a single pole. After setting the breaker back on there was a noticeable hum coming from the fan housing and even worse the dimmer seemed to control the fan speed as well as dim the lights. My questions are:1: Was this a doomed project from the start? 2: Can I re-wire the fan to run separately from the lights? There are pull chains for each function that allows them to operate separately from one another.3: Did I get the wrong switch? Should I have gotten the Maestro instead of the Diva?Thanks in advance for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by BullwinkleJMuse View Post
    I purchased a DVCL-153P dimmer switch in the hope I could use it to dim the lights on my ceiling fan on a single pole. After setting the breaker back on there was a noticeable hum coming from the fan housing and even worse the dimmer seemed to control the fan speed as well as dim the lights. My questions are:
    1: Was this a doomed project from the start?
    2: Can I re-wire the fan to run separately from the lights? There are pull chains for each function that allows them to operate separately from one another.
    3: Did I get the wrong switch? Should I have gotten the Maestro instead of the Diva?
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    For ceiling fans, most electricians will pull a 3-conductor cable (black, red, white, ground) for ceiling fans. The black is used for the fan, the red is for the light. If your house was built pre c.1980, or that location was not intended for a ceiling fan, you probably only have a 2-conductor cable (black, white, ground).

If you have a 3-conductor, you will need to pull the fan housing down and connect the light to the red conductor. You may also need to separate them at the switch location.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I have a 2-conductor cable (black, white and no ground). Would I be able to do the job with a Maestro MA-LFQ and a Canopy Module CM-L300FQ? And does any retailer sell these anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by BullwinkleJMuse View Post
    I have a 2-conductor cable (black, white and no ground). Would I be able to do the job with a Maestro MA-LFQ and a Canopy Module CM-L300FQ? And does any retailer sell these anymore?
    The MA-LFQ and canopy module will work with most any pull-chain fan.

Lutron discontinued the Maestro fan controls last year. I don't believe any dealers/retailers will have them. You may be able to find some online. You may find some longer model numbers. M means multi-location (can be used in single location). H means retail package. W means it includes a 1-gang wall plate.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com