Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Switches architecture help!

Switches architecture help!

Hi community!I am really excited to join the Lutron RadioRA2 family! I am installing a new construction system that will have Sivoia QS Wireless roller shades and planning to use RadioRA2 Select for control.Here's my planned setup:RRD-8ANS-WH* mirror LED (dimmer built into mirror) https://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Mult...p/B07RB525JN/* Electric fireplace switch* Gas fireplace switchRRD-PRO-WH or RRD-6ND-WH* All dimmers in the house and exterior lighting* Undercabinet LED lighting* Dimmable fan LED https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-FV-...076Q71W5P?th=1 RD-RD-WH* For all 3 and 4-way companions to the main dimmer (either RRD-PRO-WH or RRD-6ND-WH)LMJ-5T-DV-B* Outdoor LED lighting 0-10V dimmableNon-smart motion sensor switch (MS-OPS2H-WH)* Closet motion sensor switchQuestions:1) Anything look strange? I'm a noob and appreciate all suggestions!2) I don't know when I should use the RRD-PRO-WH or RRD-6ND-WH in different led lighting workloads, are they mostly interchangable? Why do you prefer one over the other? RRD-PRO-WH seems like it's more of a general purpose workhorse, but it's also more expensive, so I'm just trying to understand if I need it for normal LED recessed lighting or is RRD-6ND-WH going to work just as well?Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the bad formatting, still learning BB code. Here's my planned setup:

RRD-8ANS-WH
    1. Mirror LED (dimmer built into mirror) https://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Mult...dp/B07RB525JN/
    2. Electric fireplace switch
    3. Gas fireplace switch

RRD-PRO-WH or RRD-6ND-WH
    1. All dimmers in the house and exterior lighting* Undercabinet LED lighting
    2. Dimmable fan LED https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-FV-...076Q71W5P?th=1

RD-RD-WH
    1. For all 3 and 4-way companions to the main dimmer (either RRD-PRO-WH or RRD-6ND-WH)

LMJ-5T-DV-B
    1. Outdoor LED lighting 0-10V dimmable

Non-smart motion sensor switch (MS-OPS2H-WH)
    1. Closet motion sensor switch

Questions:
    1. Anything look strange? I'm a noob and appreciate all suggestions!
    2. I don't know when I should use the RRD-PRO-WH or RRD-6ND-WH in different led lighting workloads, are they mostly interchangable? Why do you prefer one over the other? RRD-PRO-WH seems like it's more of a general purpose workhorse, but it's also more expensive, so I'm just trying to understand if I need it for normal LED recessed lighting or is RRD-6ND-WH going to work just as well?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by new123guy View Post
    Hi community!I am really excited to join the Lutron RadioRA2 family! I am installing a new construction system that will have Sivoia QS Wireless roller shades and planning to use RadioRA2 Select for control. Here's my planned setup:
    RRD-8ANS-WH* mirror LED (dimmer built into mirror) https://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Mult...p/B07RB525JN/*, Electric fireplace switch* Gas fireplace switch
    RRD-PRO-WH or RRD-6ND-WH* All dimmers in the house and exterior lighting* Undercabinet LED lighting* Dimmable fan LED https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-FV-...076Q71W5P?th=1 RD-RD-WH* For all 3 and 4-way companions to the main dimmer (either RRD-PRO-WH or RRD-6ND-WH)LMJ-5T-DV-B* Outdoor LED lighting 0-10V dimmableNon-smart motion sensor switch (MS-OPS2H-WH)* Closet motion sensor switchQuestions:1) Anything look strange? I'm a noob and appreciate all suggestions!2) I don't know when I should use the RRD-PRO-WH or RRD-6ND-WH in different led lighting workloads, are they mostly interchangable? Why do you prefer one over the other? RRD-PRO-WH seems like it's more of a general purpose workhorse, but it's also more expensive, so I'm just trying to understand if I need it for normal LED recessed lighting or is RRD-6ND-WH going to work just as well?Thanks in advance!
    The 6ND does forward phase/leading edge dimming. The PRO does forward phase/leading edge and reverse phase/trailing edge. If you have anything that says "electronic low voltage, reverse phase or trailing edge you will need the PRO dimmer.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    The 6ND does forward phase/leading edge dimming. The PRO does forward phase/leading edge and reverse phase/trailing edge. If you have anything that says "electronic low voltage, reverse phase or trailing edge you will need the PRO dimmer.
    Thanks so much for the response randyc. Any thoughts on the rest? I'm really worried about buying the wrong stuff. Any tips/tricks to recommend?

The electric fireplace is similar to an electric heater. It should work but if it is slow to start you may have issues.

Gas fireplaces typically use a low voltage contact closure to start the flame. The 8ANS is as 120v device. The fireplace isn't going to be happy if you zap it with 120v.

PRO vs 6ND. Again, anything that is electronic low voltage, reverse phase, or trailing edge will need the PRO. The PRO is basically the 6ND with ELV. The PRO is newer than the 6ND so the electronics are probably better. I only spec the PRO. If I could get a fixture/bulb list in advance so I could verify they would work with the 6ND, I would use it. In the real world that rarely happens.

The PRO also has a higher wattage rating (250w vs 150). You could order a percentage of PRO just in case.

The LMJ is an indoor only device. I would avoid anything with 10v controls. They are more expensive, require a low voltage wire to each fixture (in addition to line voltage), and additional programming.

I would use the MS-OPS5M. It is multi-location and is able to control fluorescent. It will also perform better with lower wattage LEDs (typical of a closet).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I use the contact closure outputs on a VCRX to control my gas fireplaces. I replaced the switches on the wall with 2 button Picos.

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    The electric fireplace is similar to an electric heater. It should work but if it is slow to start you may have issues. Gas fireplaces typically use a low voltage contact closure to start the flame. The 8ANS is as 120v device. The fireplace isn't going to be happy if you zap it with 120v.PRO vs 6ND. Again, anything that is electronic low voltage, reverse phase, or trailing edge will need the PRO. The PRO is basically the 6ND with ELV. The PRO is newer than the 6ND so the electronics are probably better. I only spec the PRO. If I could get a fixture/bulb list in advance so I could verify they would work with the 6ND, I would use it. In the real world that rarely happens.The PRO also has a higher wattage rating (250w vs 150). You could order a percentage of PRO just in case. The LMJ is an indoor only device. I would avoid anything with 10v controls. They are more expensive, require a low voltage wire to each fixture (in addition to line voltage), and additional programming.I would use the MS-OPS5M. It is multi-location and is able to control fluorescent. It will also perform better with lower wattage LEDs (typical of a closet).

This is really helpful. This fireplace I am getting is https://www.fireplacex.com/product/p...n-face-deluxe/, I guess it includes a remote so I've probably avoid a smart switch here.My initial quotes were about $30 more for PRO vs 6ND. I thought it might be worth it to save money, but PRO makes it a lot simpler for sure.

I wish I could avoid the 10v controls, but the outdoor LED pole lighting requires it, sigh.

For the MS-OPS5M, I'm using it for closet can LED lights (probably 12w or so I'm guessing) per can. Speaking of which, where do you folks buy these switches for a reasonable price?