Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serena, QS with RA2?

Serena, QS with RA2?

Which shades can or can't work with RA2?

It looks like both the Serena and the SivoiaQS can both be controlled via the same Pico remotes. Is this correct?

But that the Serena units can't be controlled from RA2? Only the QS units can be controlled from RA2?

I'm initially looking for some honeycomb shades for a few windows and I want them to be able to be controlled via a schedule, from Pico remotes, from a tablet and from a wall keypad.

I'll have at least one keypad or hybrid near each shade location. I'll also have at least one pico dedicated to each shade setup (some windows will have more than one shade element). But only one room would have more than one shading 'set'. That'd be the main kitchen/family room which will have a set of three windows as one group of shades and then two other windows that would operate as a separate group (or individually).

So what's the real low-down here? Are the Serena units essentially just limited QS units, in that they ignore interaction with RA2 programming?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Serena RF shades are controlled only by a PICO remote. They will not work with the RA2 system.

Sivoia QS (recently renamed 'Sivoia QS Triathalon') shades can be controlled directly from a PICO remote, like Serena, or can be assigned to a GrafikQS, RadioRA2, or Homeworks QS. When part of a system, the shade will only respond to a PICO that was also assigned to the system.

Just to clarify;

Serena Shades are the battery or 12VDC powered Honeycomb or new Roller shades that are controlled only from a remote.

Triathalon Shades are the battery or 12VDC powered Honeycomb or new Roller shades that can also be controlled by Lutron systems.

Sivoia QS wired or wireless shades are our 24VDC powered roller shades, tension shades, and drapes that can be controlled directly or as part of a Lutron system.

4. Likes Ty W. liked this post
    Right, it's the trialhalon units I'd be making use of initially for privacy. I'll likely be having some other QS shades created once we get moved back into the house and start the decorating phase. Those are more likely to need to be tied into other window treatment decisions.

I'm still a bit confused as to how the shades came to market. I was under the impression that the 'whatever they called them' battery shades at once time worked either/or with pico or RA2. And that there wasn't a RA2-only battery shade, just the 24v stuff. Was this not the case? Or has 'marketing' evolved a bit here to where we are now?

Sorry for the confusion,

We first released the battery-powered cellular shades in the fall of 2011. At that time we had two lines, 'Serena shades' and 'Sivoia QS Wireless shades with insulating honeycomb fabric'. Serena is still the PICO only version and QS Wireless (now Triathlon) is the system version.

What is the latest status on Serena shades? I use Serena shades with the smart bridge pro. The smart bridge pro apparently supports some upper end shades (triathalon, QS?). Do the upper end systems support Serena shades? Meaning QS or RA2. Background: I already have many sets of Serena shades and am ready to order about 20 more shades. If Serena is not compatible with upper end systems, would it be better to go through a dealer and get essentially the same shades that do integrate with upper end systems in case Casetta just never comes through? I only use DIY methodology. Casetta with smart bridge pro is severely and intentionally crippled. I use 2 bridges to support the casetta, pico and serena devices due to 50 part limit. But further smart bridge is a dog when it comes to scene control. A very basic function of assigning pico to scene control is not supported. Scene selection is very different from grouping lights together. I like the casetta dimmers and picos and serena shades. I also have QED shades and will replace them. My experience is that it is too difficult to get access to upper systems since it is all through dealers. I have other systems in the home besides Lutron. For dimmers and shades I prefer Casetta and Serena. I like the Casetta over the RA2 choices. If RA2 supported Casetta and Serena, I'd probably want to set up RA2 system as DIY. Also I am not all that interested in current investment and would switch to any dimmer and shade solution that allows DIY and yet provides quality. In the case of dimmers RA2 doesn't have dimmers that look like casetta (look of a pico). But I assume shades that are supported are essentially identical.

As of today, Serena shades still can not be added to RA2 or HWQS. You would have to upgrade to Triathlon shades for that (about $100 per shade).

Careful. I think that should be written so the reader understands that NEW SHADE ORDERS can be 'upgraded' to Triathlon shades for X dollars at the time of ordering. EXISTING Serena shades CANNOT be upgraded to work with RA2 or HWQS shades. Best I know Lutron has no plans to allow Serena (or Caseta) hardware to be upgraded to RA2 or HWQS control.

Yep, you are right, should have said "replaced with". Thanks for correction.

I checked and serena cannot be upgraded to Triathlon when ordering serena shades from serena.com. How do the dealers do this? I have money and will spend it. Why is it difficult to buy? The serena site is easy to order shades. Is there another portal for dealers to order essentially the same way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast