Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New homeowner

New homeowner

Hey everyone,

I’m sure this comes up a lot but we recently bought a home from a deceased person and I have access to the radio ra2 app on my iphone although I cannot change any of the room names or device names. Is there a way of doing this via Telnet? Maybe editing the xml file?

I am fairly tech savy but can’t quite figure this out, aside from restarting from scratch.

I guess my main problem is that I see a lot of screenshots with the “Edit Device” capability but I don’t see that in the apication.

Quote Originally Posted by plegault View Post
    Hey everyone,

I’m sure this comes up a lot but we recently bought a home from a deceased person and I have access to the radio ra2 app on my iphone although I cannot change any of the room names or device names. Is there a way of doing this via Telnet? Maybe editing the xml file?

I am fairly tech savy but can’t quite figure this out, aside from restarting from scratch.
    Ra2 programming is done with a Windows PC and their 'Essentials' program. It does take some understanding on how things work, lutron-wise, so they have an online class for it. It's easy enough if you're tech savvy.

Once you've done that you can download the program. Use that to extract your current setup. Re-arrange as you see fit.

It cannot be done via telnet, nor via XML editing. You *have to* use the Windows program.

Starting over from scratch would require using the same program. Using a laptop makes it easier, as you can go from device to device to do the pairing process. Otherwise two people, one going between the switches, one at the PC, is better than one person running back/forth.

You may have to start over from scratch if the configuration in the existing system is older than a certain version (which, I can't recall).

4. Thanks plegault thanked for this post
    Thank you for your prompt reply. So I got it installed but somehow I can't get a ra2, lut or lutx file out of my Main repeater. I'll try googling a bit more in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by plegault View Post
    Thank you for your prompt reply. So I got it installed but somehow I can't get a ra2, lut or lutx file out of my Main repeater. I'll try googling a bit more in the meantime.
    It's been a while since I did this, but you can telnet into your main repeater and use a specific command to see the OS firmware version that it's running:

telnet ip.of.your.repeater

username: lutron
    password: integration

At the GNET> prompt type:

?SYSTEM,8

This will show the current firmware version that's installed on the unit.

Mine reports:
    OS Firmware Revision = 12.10.0 [Apr 08 2021 16:42:14]

Which version is installed on yours?

If you don't know the IP address of your repeater there are ways to cross-reference from your network's router DHCP and/or ARP tables using the MAC address of the repeater. There should be a label on the back of the repeater with it's MAC address. You want to find that MAC address in the DHCP or ARP tables on the router and that would give you the IP address. It may or may not be setup as a static or DHCP lease address. That's a whole /other/ discussion outside the scope of the questions you're asking (thus far).

The search function here on the forums will help you find other help too.

And before you reset the repeater it'd really be a good idea to use the app to make notes about how it's currently configured. Especially if there's scenes, motion sensors, keypads and the like. A good Ra2 install can have quite a number of these configured to provide a lot of nice features/effects. Ra2 allows for a lot more than just automated on/off/dimming. So don't be too quick to nuke the current install until you get a good overview of it all.