Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Door/Window Sensor?

Door/Window Sensor?

I have a client with an accordion door that can't seem to understand that you can't put the shades down while the doors are open. I tried explaining this when we were designing/installing, but it fell on deaf ears.Fast forward a couple years, and now he wants a sensor that will prevent the shades from coming down when the door is open.Any suggestions? Only wiring is the shade wires, and getting new wires is about as impossible as can be, due to some steel i-beam placement.I do have RTI on the project, but I'd rather not depend on RTI for such things, unless I have to.No security system to tie to.
    Audio, Video, Networking, & Automation Designed Around You

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I have a client with an accordion door that can't seem to understand that you can't put the shades down while the doors are open. I tried explaining this when we were designing/installing, but it fell on deaf ears.Fast forward a couple years, and now he wants a sensor that will prevent the shades from coming down when the door is open.Any suggestions? Only wiring is the shade wires, and getting new wires is about as impossible as can be, due to some steel i-beam placement.I do have RTI on the project, but I'd rather not depend on RTI for such things, unless I have to.No security system to tie to.
    If there is a HQS wired keypad close enough you could use the CCIs on the back. You might be able to use one of those "inexpensive" security systems retailers sell. They all have RF contact closures and most connect to Ethernet. Finding one that will send a command to HQS might be a bit harder.

Depending on the type of wire you used, you might be able to use the drain and shield for a contact closure. You might be able to share the common as well.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Hi. I get that the thread’s old, but I understand your concern, OP. my last client also had a problem with a door/window sensor. They did not want to understand that they needed to close the door to pull the shades down. The owner didn’t like it and asked me to change the doors with other interior doors from https://doordesignlab.com/interior-doors.html. These doors are cute, and I hope they like them. Well, you can’t argue with your customer, especially when they have a lot of money. People with a lot of money are usually a little (or not a little) weird.

If there is no possibility of laying cables, you may want to pay attention to wireless security systems.

If there is no possibility of laying cables, you may want to pay attention to wireless security systems. They are easy to install and do not require wiring. A friend of mine used one of these systems from Ajax. The different modules that can be connected work through a radio signal. Even the sensors that read access cards, which my friend ordered through the website https://www.duplicatecard.com. This allows his employees to enter the office unhindered. There is no way to run additional cables in a rented office, so the wireless security system is just right. So it is not a problem to connect the curtain door sensors here.