Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Control Truth Sentry II motor with VCRX and keypad

Control Truth Sentry II motor with VCRX and keypad

Haven't used a VCRX before, but I think I can use this to control a skylight with a Truth Sentry II motor. I'm attaching (I can't seem to attach a file even though it says I have permission, so here is a link to it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k338o1i1ez...iring.pdf?dl=0) the relevant pages from the Truth manual: HPI instructions for third party controls, wiring diagram, and sensor instructions. Here's what I think I need to do, but would appreciate any help from those with more experience:The truth inputs for external (high priority input - HPI) control are Open and Close. They can respond to either continuous or momentary closure. I'd like to control the motor from keypad buttons. These are my assumptions based on the instructions:Connect each of the HPI Open and Close inputs to a separate CCO on the VCRX. 1a. If I set the CCOs to "maintained" closure, and program each CCO to a separate button, a single button press will fully open or close the skylight. I can only fully open or close the skylight 1b. If I set the CCOs to "momentary" closure, and program each CCO to a separate button, a single button press will, after a 3 second delay, fully open or close the skylight, but if the opposite button is pressed, the action will stop. Another press of that button will reverse the open or close (similar to a shade toggle)Do I have that correct? Based on the instructions, I am assuming that the momentary closures start the motor - you do not have to hold the button down. I'm also assuming that in this application, raise/lower buttons would do nothing, so my best design is just an open button and a close button. I'm also assuming that because the HPI inputs are separate for open and close, I can't use a shade toggle style program on a single button - I need a separate button for each input.Finally, for extra credit, there is a sensor function, which I assume I could connect to the VCRx's CCI, but I'm not sure how I'd use that with a keypad or other control to monitor the status of the skylight, or if I need to given the LED logic on the open and close buttons.Thanks for any insight provided!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw View Post
    Haven't used a VCRX before, but I think I can use this to control a skylight with a Truth Sentry II motor. I'm attaching (I can't seem to attach a file even though it says I have permission, so here is a link to it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k338o1i1ez...iring.pdf?dl=0) the relevant pages from the Truth manual: HPI instructions for third party controls, wiring diagram, and sensor instructions. Here's what I think I need to do, but would appreciate any help from those with more experience:The truth inputs for external (high priority input - HPI) control are Open and Close. They can respond to either continuous or momentary closure. I'd like to control the motor from keypad buttons. These are my assumptions based on the instructions:Connect each of the HPI Open and Close inputs to a separate CCO on the VCRX. 1a. If I set the CCOs to "maintained" closure, and program each CCO to a separate button, a single button press will fully open or close the skylight. I can only fully open or close the skylight 1b. If I set the CCOs to "momentary" closure, and program each CCO to a separate button, a single button press will, after a 3 second delay, fully open or close the skylight, but if the opposite button is pressed, the action will stop. Another press of that button will reverse the open or close (similar to a shade toggle)Do I have that correct? Based on the instructions, I am assuming that the momentary closures start the motor - you do not have to hold the button down. I'm also assuming that in this application, raise/lower buttons would do nothing, so my best design is just an open button and a close button. I'm also assuming that because the HPI inputs are separate for open and close, I can't use a shade toggle style program on a single button - I need a separate button for each input.Finally, for extra credit, there is a sensor function, which I assume I could connect to the VCRx's CCI, but I'm not sure how I'd use that with a keypad or other control to monitor the status of the skylight, or if I need to given the LED logic on the open and close buttons.Thanks for any insight provided!
    That's exactly what I got from that link. I would lean towards the momentary because of the bit about the window getting "confused" if you use maintained.

You can't track LED status of a CCI/CCO. You can however, fake it. Create a phantom lighting zone called 'window open' and turn it on with the same button that opens the window. I would make the lights on/off only (switches) and the buttons be scene logic. That way if the window is 100% open the open button LED will be on. If the window is 100% closed, the close button LED will be on. If it is partially open neither LED will be on.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Raise/lower?

Thanks for that, randyc. One more question: Do the raise/lower buttons have any effect on a programmed VCRX? I.e. If, for example, I use a W2RLD with the bottom buttons used for Open and Close, will the raise/lower buttons talk to the VCRX if I set them to "lower/raise the programmed device?" I'm guessing no, but thought I'd confirm. I need to have the keypad in that location continue to control the lights in the room, and I'd like to have raise/lower for that purpose. If the raise/lower can be made to trigger the skylight programmed to the lower Open and Close cluster on a 1RLD or 2RLD, I'd do that. If not, the raise/lower buttons might be confusing.

Thanks for that, randyc. One more question: Do the raise/lower buttons have any effect on a programmed VCRX? I.e. If, for example, I use a W2RLD with the bottom buttons used for Open and Close, will the raise/lower buttons talk to the VCRX if I set them to "lower/raise the programmed device?" I'm guessing no, but thought I'd confirm. I need to have the keypad in that location continue to control the lights in the room, and I'd like to have raise/lower for that purpose. If the raise/lower can be made to trigger the skylight programmed to the lower Open and Close cluster on a 1RLD or 2RLD, I'd do that. If not, the raise/lower buttons might be confusing.
    Raise/lower buttons can be programmed to R/L the last button pressed on the keypad, the last button double-tapped on the keypad, or specific zones.

I'd have to test it to be sure but I believe the VCRX/CCO won't respond until it receives a open (100%) or close (0%) command. So if you start by pressing raise you would have to hold the button until it got to 100%.

The W1RLD has a group with 3 buttons and no raise/lower. The R/L from the other group does not affect the 3-button group. You could have R/L for lighting and only buttons for the windows.
    www.convergenceusa.com

That's what I expected. The problem with the 1RLD for this application is that I either have to use the 2 button group with (essentially) useless R/L buttons, or the 3 button group, and what do I do with the third button grouped with two buttons that control the skylight? If I had a light or something that related to the skylight I could make something useful. Anyway, I'll get creative and see what I can come up with that remains logical and easy to understand.Thanks for the help!

Wiring this up

One last (maybe) question: the inputs on the skylight motor have + and - terminals, and it says it supplies 12v, but doesn’t say on which. I can test that with a multimeter but I’m assuming on the +. The VCRX has Common and Output terminals. Which gets connected to the + terminal? The common? (Obviously I’m more of a programmer than an electrician.)

One last (maybe) question: the inputs on the skylight motor have + and - terminals, and it says it supplies 12v, but doesn’t say on which. I can test that with a multimeter but I’m assuming on the +. The VCRX has Common and Output terminals. Which gets connected to the + terminal? The common? (Obviously I’m more of a programmer than an electrician.)
    The VCRX isn't controlling power to the motor. The VCRX either opens or closes a contact. The motor controller senses the change in continuity and acts accordingly. So...assuming that the 12v terminals are correct. I would connect the (-) to the common.
    www.convergenceusa.com