Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best wiring practices installation for new construction

Best wiring practices installation for new construction

I'm buying a new construction home and I wanted to see the best practices for hard wiring. I want to install Lutron motorized shades. I can't seem to be able to post photos so I'll try my best. I'm would like to tell the builder where to put the electric in 3 main different window area 1) 9x12' Sliding door, two large window, and 4 bay window in the master bedroom. I'm new at this so any help will be appreciated. 1) Sliding Door: My guess is that a receptacle should be placed in the sheet rock just above the sliding door since there is no window sill or Head. I'm thinking of putting a receptacle in the middle of the slider in case i need to use two shades to cover the 12' of the sliding window. And I would then add a switch to the center receptacle. 2) Two Large Windows: I'm think I need one receptacle between the two widows in the sheet rock just above the two widows, and add one switch? Another option would be to put the outlet in the window head if possible. I'm not sure the builder will do that, but that also might be in of the shade frame in the header. 3) Bay window: Since the widows that are separated my four window, I'm assuming I'll need 2 receptacle and one switch. I would put a receptacle in the sheet rock just just above window 1 and 2, and then the 2nd receptecle between window 3 and 4. Any help would be appreciated. If anyone can tell me how to attach photos, they would be easy to see what I'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by billg13 View Post
    I'm buying a new construction home and I wanted to see the best practices for hard wiring. I want to install Lutron motorized shades. I can't seem to be able to post photos so I'll try my best. I'm would like to tell the builder where to put the electric in 3 main different window area 1) 9x12' Sliding door, two large window, and 4 bay window in the master bedroom. I'm new at this so any help will be appreciated. 1) Sliding Door: My guess is that a receptacle should be placed in the sheet rock just above the sliding door since there is no window sill or Head. I'm thinking of putting a receptacle in the middle of the slider in case i need to use two shades to cover the 12' of the sliding window. And I would then add a switch to the center receptacle. 2) Two Large Windows: I'm think I need one receptacle between the two widows in the sheet rock just above the two widows, and add one switch? Another option would be to put the outlet in the window head if possible. I'm not sure the builder will do that, but that also might be in of the shade frame in the header. 3) Bay window: Since the widows that are separated my four window, I'm assuming I'll need 2 receptacle and one switch. I would put a receptacle in the sheet rock just just above window 1 and 2, and then the 2nd receptecle between window 3 and 4. Any help would be appreciated. If anyone can tell me how to attach photos, they would be easy to see what I'm asking.
    Lutron doesn't make line voltage shades any more. If they did, you wouldn't want them.

1) For the sliding door I would put a low voltage wire at both sides. Shades can be specified with the motor on the left or the right and they are smart enough to know the difference. For shades I would put the wire in about 6" from the edge of the trim and near the top of the shade frame. This way the wire won't interfere with mounting. Drapes are a completely different beast.

2) Serena and Triathlon shades are available up to 8' x 8'. Triathlon can go up to 12'x12' but the housing gets pretty bulky. Again, I would prewire on both sides.

3) Are the bay windows curved/angled? Lutron does have an angled system but I would not do it. Prewire on the left and right as noted above.

Lutron has a spec for cable. Basically it is (2) 18 gauge (larger for long runs) and (2) 22 gauge for communication. The smaller the cable the better. It gets crowded inside the shade. You should be able to find it in about the same diameter as a pencil.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Lutron Technical Support
    billig13, I would recommend contacting an authorized Lutron Shade Dealer in your area to assist, as they will be able to assist with designing and installing these shades. You can find one by going to http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/WT...buy.aspx?AID=1 and selecting "Shades" and "Full Line Shades" in the filters below the ZIP code entry.

Thanks for your help. I think you are telling me that I should not use 110V outlet for my shades but rather use 24V low voltage using with 18 or 22 gauge (I guess speaker wire)? I would run these wires from the same locations you mentioned below and they connect to a central location in my house? I guess I need to do a lot more reading but I did notice this. "Sivoia QS Drives and Keypads are powered from a 24 V- power supply. All drives, power supplies, keypads and other control devices are linked together. This link provides 24 V- to all components." Do other companies use line voltage? Just wondering if Line Voltage is better or low voltage in general? I'm guessing that Lutron decided low voltage is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by billg13 View Post
    Thanks for your help. I think you are telling me that I should not use 110V outlet for my shades but rather use 24V low voltage using with 18 or 22 gauge (I guess speaker wire)? I would run these wires from the same locations you mentioned below and they connect to a central location in my house? I guess I need to do a lot more reading but I did notice this. "Sivoia QS Drives and Keypads are powered from a 24 V- power supply. All drives, power supplies, keypads and other control devices are linked together. This link provides 24 V- to all components." Do other companies use line voltage? Just wondering if Line Voltage is better or low voltage in general? I'm guessing that Lutron decided low voltage is the best.
    I don't recommend 120v shades. The technology is dated and they sound like can openers.

I would not use speaker wire. If you use the 18/2 with 22/2 shielded you are covered for wired power with RF or wired communication.
    Having said all that... look at Lutron Triathlon shades. They are battery powered and much easier to install. You typically get 2-3 years on standard batteries that you can buy anywhere. You can run them off low voltage power and only 2 conductors are required.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks

Thanks again for all your help. I did some more research and talked with a technical support person at Lutron. I now understand the difference between Line, low voltage and battery. I'm pretty sure I'll go with Low voltage with 2 - 18 gauge and 2 -22 gauge as suggested above. I will offer me to best options since I'm building a house. Although I can see the value of using batteries. Thanks again.

Lutron Technical Support
    The QS wired keypads run on 24-36Vdc while the QS shades run on 35Vdc.

I did some more research and talked with a technical support person at Lutron. I now understand the difference between Line, low voltage and battery.

Quote Originally Posted by lukemart View Post
    I did some more research and talked with a technical support person at Lutron. I now understand the difference between Line, low voltage and battery.
    can you be more specific ? What are the differences?

Quote Originally Posted by morissette View Post
    can you be more specific ? What are the differences?
    It's pretty straightforward:
    Line voltage shade motors run on 120V.
    Low voltage shade motors run on low voltage, technically defined as 50V or less. In practice, low voltage shade motors typically run on 24-36V, or 6-12V.
    Battery-powered shades use a low-voltage motor wired to battery packs. Lutron's battery powered shades run on 6-12V.

As previously mentioned, 120V are basically dead tech. All the common powered shades you'll find use low voltage motors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast