Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QSX release date

Question QSX release date

I wanted to ask ,when will the new processor start shipping and the when is the new 16.0 QS coming out.Thanks

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for your post protex electric.

The new processors started shipping on May 1st. The new software should be coming rather soon, within the next two weeks. Hope this helps!

I ordered a QSX processor on the 4th and its estimated ship date is the 26th...

I am very very confused about QSX. I've seen the little video and description of it along with most of the tech notes on the site and it seems like its main reason for existing is to allow for Ketra lights to be integrated with it which the existing QS processor apparently can't do. It also has cloud firmware upgrades. At first, this gives the impression that it can do everything QS can do plus the Ketra and cloud firmware stuff, but then when I read the fine print, it says that QSX can't work with RPM based systems so right off the bat, it's useless if upgrading old HWI systems, LiteTouch systems, along with every other RPM based QS systems. It has its own DIN rail type dimming module. So my questions for now is 1. Is QS being discontinued now or in the near future? 2. If you don't care about Ketra (and honestly I don't get why anybody should as it's proprietary and switches and your choice of lights work better ), is there any reason to get it over QS?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian24 View Post
    I am very very confused about QSX. I've seen the little video and description of it along with most of the tech notes on the site and it seems like its main reason for existing is to allow for Ketra lights to be integrated with it which the existing QS processor apparently can't do. It also has cloud firmware upgrades. At first, this gives the impression that it can do everything QS can do plus the Ketra and cloud firmware stuff, but then when I read the fine print, it says that QSX can't work with RPM based systems so right off the bat, it's useless if upgrading old HWI systems, LiteTouch systems, along with every other RPM based QS systems. It has its own DIN rail type dimming module. So my questions for now is 1. Is QS being discontinued now or in the near future? 2. If you don't care about Ketra (and honestly I don't get why anybody should as it's proprietary and switches and your choice of lights work better ), is there any reason to get it over QS?
    Lutron says they have no plans to discontinue QS. However, I strongly believe it's days are numbered. I'm not sure why they didn't include RPMs in the initial release of QSX. That code has been around for a while. At least as long as the code for dimmers and keypads. As you noted, there is a huge inventory of installed RPMs out there.

DIN modules are available in QS as well.

I'm despise remote firmware updates. I was on site yesterday and updated firmware (non-Lutron system). It went smoothly until I tested the keypads. It took me 3 hours and 2 calls to tech support to fix the issues.

I love the concept of moving the interface to the fixture. I'm not sure Ketra is the right application. I get a lot more flexibility with something like Hue for a lot less money. Install is a lot less. Programming is a lot less. Material is a lot less. A lot!
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

My QSX 2 link is scheduled to ship on Friday (I'm almost giddy!)My predictions (based on nothing at all)... maybe more wishful thinking:QS isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.QSX will eventually be able to be added to QS systems (RPM) by upgrading the to the QSX processor.It doesn't make sense to do it any other way... but neither does having more than a dozen different lighting control systems that don't talk to each other, so who knows!?
    Audio, Video, Networking, & Automation Designed Around You

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian24 View Post
    If you haven't seen Ketra in action, in a real space, you have no idea what you're missing. Its pretty spectacular. Far more than just "color changing" LEDs.
    Audio, Video, Networking, & Automation Designed Around You

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    If you haven't seen Ketra in action, in a real space, you have no idea what you're missing. It's pretty spectacular paymydoctor. Far more than just "color changing" LEDs.
    Thank you so much for the Reply AndyM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM
    If you haven't seen Ketra in action, in a real space, you have no idea what you're missing. Its pretty spectacular. Far more than just "color changing" LEDs.
    We built a Ketra Certified showroom- one of only two in our market- and I have to say we havent seen anyone come looking for us, nor have any clients who come into our showroom expressed any real interest in it. I dont see the benefit in it vs. the cost. And we built ours with last years Ketra solution (N4 hubs, older fixtures/bulbs), so already they are going to be obsolete in true Lutron fashion. Can we retrofit the in ceiling fixtures to new Lutron RF technology? No not without destroying the ceiling! We had several fixtures that had hardware issues- how do you explain to a customer that you have to break open their ceiling to repair/replace the fixture? And the programming to make it work was super kludgy. Not to mention we have some fixtures that for whatever reason when you recall a scene they dont follow what they are programmed to do. Most of the time they do but sometimes not. Wireless on these things stinks.

I honestly don't understand this new obsession Lutron has with Ketra. I've installed lighting, in particular residential lighting for almost 2 decades now and work closely with our lighting supplier who lives and breathes lighting and is on top of it all more than any human being I know and I only heard of Ketra when QSX was announced last year. I have also been to many Lutron events in the past and they never once mentioned Ketra. They used to mention their own drivers, working with other lighting manufacturers, etc. but never this Ketra. I've heard of Lightolier, Juno, WAC, Satco, Cree, and a bunch of newcomers to the LED world but I have still never seen Ketra or heard anybody want it. It sounds like a 100% proprietary and expensive and soon to be obsolete product that will need to be ripped out and replaced with something more standard. Why would anybody get it?And why would Lutron create a whole new platform around it that throws away RPM support, Telnet, and retrofitting their own systems? I saw the presentation on QSX yesterday and I agree with what they say about less links making things easier. I 100% agree with that because with illuminations, having 5 different links, each with their own interface and dip switches was decades behind what the competing whole home systems were doing. What I don't agree with however is selling people on the idea that Lutron will be around and then ending support for their own products and making their own products obsolete. When I asked them, they said "QS and RPMs are not obsolete so there is no word on when they will be discontinued" but when the current version 16 of the designer software no longer supports RPMs or Telnet, it shows that they are already obsolete. What do I tell someone with an illuminations system? "There is this new QSX processor that is awesome, self updating, has the cloud built in and is Lutron's future, but nope, you can't have it because you spent $150,000 on RPMs and keypads 12 years ago. Sorry! You have to update to the 10 year old QS system that's already outdated and no longer gets full support. They say it's not obsolete but last time they said that about your system, it was obsolete in about a year. So your choice is replace your obsolete system with a soon to be obsolete system, or rip out all your RPM panels along with the RPMs (because they don't even let you keep the panels, then spend another $150,000 on DIN rails and QSX keypads." Even people living in million dollar houses aren't just going to throw away $150K .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast