Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: HN6BRL can't be discovered and will not activate

HN6BRL can't be discovered and will not activate

I have a RRD-HN6BRL-LA that will not activate in RadioRA 2 Essentials software. It can't be discovered, and entering its serial number doesn't work either, even after a triple tap factory reset. I've double checked the wiring; there's a neutral wire going to the silver screw. The one thing that's not 'normal' is that there's no load on this control. I've recently done a remodel, and stubbed in the 120 for a chandelier which has not yet been purchased. I need to use this RRD-HN6BRL to eventually control it, but in the meantime it needs to function as a keypad for other lights/dimmers in the house. When I go to the Add New Device window, I uncheck the "Add Local Load" box. I have another HN6BRL that is wired identically (including not having a load) and it's functioning perfectly. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by jelloice; 04-30-2020 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Formatting cleanup

Often the factory default is done incorrectly and not quick enough. See this thread for links to video: https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...actory-default
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by jelloice View Post
    I have a RRD-HN6BRL-LA that will not activate in RadioRA 2 Essentials software. It can't be discovered, and entering its serial number doesn't work either, even after a triple tap factory reset. I've double checked the wiring; there's a neutral wire going to the silver screw. The one thing that's not 'normal' is that there's no load on this control. I've recently done a remodel, and stubbed in the 120 for a chandelier which has not yet been purchased. I need to use this RRD-HN6BRL to eventually control it, but in the meantime it needs to function as a keypad for other lights/dimmers in the house. When I go to the Add New Device window, I uncheck the "Add Local Load" box. I have another HN6BRL that is wired identically (including not having a load) and it's functioning perfectly. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Are you getting an error message when you try to activate? It might say something like "incorrect device type heard." If so, it means the communications are good. See Mikes awesome video on resetting.

If you are not getting a message, you may need to add a repeater. As a test, try moving the device to see if it will activate.

I would also check the software. I don't think HN6BRL vs H6BRL matters but it might.

Check the wiring too. Not all white wires are neutrals. If the LEDs on the keypad light up you have a good neutral. Make sure power is connected to the black screw.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Unhappy Control is fried

Thank you both for your suggestions, especially for the links to the reset videos. I tried everything you both suggested, but this puppy is fried. I kept a log of everything I did, as well as all the system messages, but it's too long and boring to repost. Suffice it to say that it involved multiple repeater reboots, and varying error messages. I'm new to RadioRA 2, and I probably mis-wired it or something when I first installed it. And since it's been more than a year since I bought it, I guess I just get to buy a new one :-( Anyway, thanks again. I appreciate your time and effort.