Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1200+ Watt Smart Plugs for use with Caseta

1200+ Watt Smart Plugs for use with Caseta

Hello,I currently have several Caseta switches and dimmers installed in my house that are being controlled by wall mounted Picos. We have an older home and when I put them int to get three way switching in a couple of rooms without having to run any wiring and also without much thought to any kind of smart home functions. We currently do not have any kind of hub, Caseta or otherwise. We also have several low buck WiFi smart plugs off of Amazon for a couple of appliances like a coffee pot and a space heater; these are rated at 10A and are controlled by their own stand-alone app. I'd like to start adding some smart home functionality now and I'm looking at getting the Caseta kit with two lamps dimmers and a Smart Hub; we have a couple of lamps as I'd like to be able to program to come on at certain times, but I'd also like to integrate either the plugs we already have or get new ones so there is only one interface to use for everything. It doesn't look like Lutron offers any smart plugs other than the lamp ones, and they have a 300W limit. Are there any smart plugs out there that can be added directly to the non-Pro Lutron Smart Bridge that I would get in the lamp kit, or will this require getting a Pro Smart Bridge and a another hub, like a Hubitat, and then running everything through that second hub? My main goal here is to only have one interface that would run everything and it must have a phone app. Also does anyone know if there are any single pole 'dumb' switches out there that look like the Caseta switches (two square buttons, not the dimmer style with the arrows)? I have several multi-gang switch boxes where I'll be installing a Caseta switch or Pico remote along with switches that I have no intention of ever making remote or smart. I think it's going to look rather unattractive to have a regular old school toggle switch right next a nice shiny new Caseta and we're not fans of the paddle switch look either. I'd like to have them match without dropping $45 on switches that will never be pared to a Pico or programmed via a bridge. I've found a few that have the same two button layout but they are actually two single pole switches, not one single pole where the upper button is 'On' and the lower is 'Off'.Edit: sorry for the wall of text, first time posting here, I'm not sure if there are tags for line breaks?

If anyone will let me know what the line break tags are, I'll repost this in a legible format. [br]text[/br] doesn't seem to work and I don't see anything on the BBCode help page on this forum.

Reply using "Go Advanced"
    Use < br > but no spaces before or after br.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraz View Post
    Hello,I currently have several Caseta switches and dimmers installed in my house that are being controlled by wall mounted Picos. We have an older home and when I put them int to get three way switching in a couple of rooms without having to run any wiring and also without much thought to any kind of smart home functions. We currently do not have any kind of hub, Caseta or otherwise.

We also have several low buck WiFi smart plugs off of Amazon for a couple of appliances like a coffee pot and a space heater; these are rated at 10A and are controlled by their own stand-alone app. I'd like to start adding some smart home functionality now and I'm looking at getting the Caseta kit with two lamps dimmers and a Smart Hub; we have a couple of lamps as I'd like to be able to program to come on at certain times, but I'd also like to integrate either the plugs we already have or get new ones so there is only one interface to use for everything. It doesn't look like Lutron offers any smart plugs other than the lamp ones, and they have a 300W limit. Are there any smart plugs out there that can be added directly to the non-Pro Lutron Smart Bridge that I would get in the lamp kit, or will this require getting a Pro Smart Bridge and a another hub, like a Hubitat, and then running everything through that second hub?

My main goal here is to only have one interface that would run everything and it must have a phone app. Also does anyone know if there are any single pole 'dumb' switches out there that look like the Caseta switches (two square buttons, not the dimmer style with the arrows)? I have several multi-gang switch boxes where I'll be installing a Caseta switch or Pico remote along with switches that I have no intention of ever making remote or smart. I think it's going to look rather unattractive to have a regular old school toggle switch right next a nice shiny new Caseta and we're not fans of the paddle switch look either. I'd like to have them match without dropping $45 on switches that will never be pared to a Pico or programmed via a bridge. I've found a few that have the same two button layout but they are actually two single pole switches, not one single pole where the upper button is 'On' and the lower is 'Off'.Edit: sorry for the wall of text, first time posting here, I'm not sure if there are tags for line breaks?
    The formatting has been wonky for a while.

In the RadioRA and RA2 Select families have a plug-in switch that is rated for 15 amps. It will also accept 3-prong plugs. They have a RF receptacle in the commercial lines but they haven't made it to the resi world yet.

Lutron systems don't control other systems very well until you get to HomeWorks, which is pretty intense programming. Even controlling Sonos is pretty limited.

There is a Caseta switch which has 2 buttons (on/off). Look for a PD-6ANS.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks. Here are my questions is a more readable format:
    Quote Quote
    Hello,

I currently have several Caseta switches and dimmers installed in my house that are being controlled by wall mounted Picos. We have an older home and when I put them int to get three way switching in a couple of rooms without having to run any wiring and also without much thought to any kind of smart home functions. We currently do not have any kind of hub, Caseta or otherwise. We also have several low buck WiFi smart plugs off of Amazon for a couple of appliances like a coffee pot and a space heater; these are rated at 10A and are controlled by their own stand-alone app.

I'd like to start adding some smart home functionality now and I'm looking at getting the Caseta kit with two lamps dimmers and a Smart Hub; we have a couple of lamps as I'd like to be able to program to come on at certain times, but I'd also like to integrate either the plugs we already have or get new ones so there is only one interface to use for everything. It doesn't look like Lutron offers any smart plugs other than the lamp ones, and they have a 300W limit. Are there any smart plugs out there that can be added directly to the non-Pro Lutron Smart Bridge that I would get in the lamp kit, or will this require getting a Pro Smart Bridge and a another hub, like a Hubitat, and then running everything through that second hub? My main goal here is to only have one interface that would run everything and it must have a phone app.

Also does anyone know if there are any single pole 'dumb' switches out there that look like the Caseta switches (two square buttons, not the dimmer style with the arrows)? I have several multi-gang switch boxes where I'll be installing a Caseta switch or Pico remote along with switches that I have no intention of ever making remote or smart. I think it's going to look rather unattractive to have a regular old school toggle switch right next a nice shiny new Caseta and we're not fans of the paddle switch look either. I'd like to have them match without dropping $45 on switches that will never be pared to a Pico or programmed via a bridge. I've found a few that have the same two button layout but they are actually two single pole switches, not one single pole where the upper button is 'On' and the lower is 'Off'.

Quote Quote
    The formatting has been wonky for a while.In the RadioRA and RA2 Select families have a plug-in switch that is rated for 15 amps. It will also accept 3-prong plugs. They have a RF receptacle in the commercial lines but they haven't made it to the resi world yet.Lutron systems don't control other systems very well until you get to HomeWorks, which is pretty intense programming. Even controlling Sonos is pretty limited.There is a Caseta switch which has 2 buttons (on/off). Look for a PD-6ANS.
    Thanks for the answer. Since I'm already using some Caseta hardware, will the RA plugs cross over? From what I have read it doesn't seem like it. From my limited research it seem like I'll need a third party hub to tie the Caseta hub to any other brand products?

And the PD-6ANS is the switch that I already have. What I'm trying to find is a 'dumb' switch that looks like it to place next to it in a two gang switch box, without having to buy another Caseta one, as I have no need for remote or automated features on the second switch. I have three rooms with a two gang box at one entrance where one has been replaced with a Caseta and the second switch in each room is for the light in the closet. I'm trying to have switches that are consistent visually without having to buy a Caseta for a closet light.

The closest I've found is this: https://www.legrand.us/radiant/produ...es/rcd11w.aspx

But even this one is two single pole switches stacked, rather than one with an 'On' button and an 'Off' button.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraz View Post
    Thanks for the answer. Since I'm already using some Caseta hardware, will the RA plugs cross over? From what I have read it doesn't seem like it. From my limited research it seem like I'll need a third party hub to tie the Caseta hub to any other brand products? And the PD-6ANS is the switch that I already have. What I'm trying to find is a 'dumb' switch that looks like it to place next to it in a two gang switch box, without having to buy another Caseta one, as I have no need for remote or automated features on the second switch. I have three rooms with a two gang box at one entrance where one has been replaced with a Caseta and the second switch in each room is for the light in the closet. I'm trying to have switches that are consistent visually without having to buy a Caseta for a closet light. The closest I've found is this: https://www.legrand.us/radiant/produ...es/rcd11w.aspx But even this one is two single pole switches stacked, rather than one with an 'On' button and an 'Off' button.
    Yes, you will need a 3rd party hub if you want to cameras to turn on lights. Some 3rd party hubs will control Caseta devices directly (no need for the Caseta hub). Others require the Caseta hub.

You are correct - RA2/R2S dimmers and switches will NOT work with Caseta.

Lutron has stated they don't have any plans for non-system devices with the Caseta user interface. That may be typical corporate denial but who knows?
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com