Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Essential 12.4, 12.6 Won't Launch on AMD Threadripper System - Win 10

Essential 12.4, 12.6 Won't Launch on AMD Threadripper System - Win 10

Has anybody got Essential running on a Threadripper system? I've tried loading on AMD 1950 and 2950 systems and Essential just won't load past the splash screen. Eventually an error will pop up stating a "Database Connection Error". It then says to reboot the computer, but it never helps. I've also tried loading Essential 12.1 and 12.4 - same response. The system is running Win 10 Pro 1909.I've got 12.4 and 12.6 running on an old AMD FX-8370, Win 10-1903 with no problems. Before I call tech support, anyone have any ideas?Here's the whole error msg:"A problem occurred while attempting to communicate with the database engine on this computer (while loading modelinfo data). Often, restarting the application will resolve this error. If this error continues, restart the computer."ThanksMax Q

I've never seen that, but I'd start by trying to see whether the database engine is starting/running. Maybe there are errors in the OS error viewer?

It should tell you that there is another program running but check task manager and make sure no other Lutron programs are running.

I believe Lutron uses MicroSoft SQL. If you had an update to SQL the Lutron software might not recognize it. If you reinstall the software it may roll back or update SQL. You should only have to do it for 1 version. When you install it should ask you about installing SQL. Make sure you accept.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

The RadioRA2 desktop software uses Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express for storage. It should get installed as part of the installation process. The first thing you should check is whether it is installed. If you go to "Apps and features" in Windows Settings, you should see it listed there. If it isn't there, you may want to try reinstalling RadioRA2 desktop software using the full installer. If it's there, then the second thing to check is whether it gets launched when you start the RadioRA 2 desktop software. It should show up as "SQL Server Windows NT" in Task Manager, possibly listed as a subprocess under the RadioRA2 app, or possibly listed standalone. If it is installed, but it isn't starting up, it's possible that you will find a helpful error message in the Windows Event Viewer.If neither of those things help, I'd call Lutron.

Excellent ideas, guys. Much appreciated! I assumed that Essential was loading its required version of SQL Server, so it never occurred to me to see if it was installed. I'll give it a shot and report back here asap...Again, many thanks!