Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Funtionality for Maestro fan control and C•L dimmer

Funtionality for Maestro fan control and C•L dimmer

Hello everyone. I have a situation in the home we just purchased. In the kitchen there is a ceiling fan (without a base light - just a stand alone ceiling fan with a pull chain to operate it). The only way that this ceiling fan will operate is if the switch to the downlight over the sink is powered "on". I want to separate the two so that I don't need to have the downlight over the sink on while the ceiling fan is running. Now, I'm almost certain there are two separate load wires to both the downlight and the ceiling fan separately with one line in (I haven't looked yet but I'm almost certain it was wired this way?). My question is since the downlight and the ceiling fan are separate will a Maestro fan control and C•L dimmer work in this situation? Yes, it will be a single pole scenario. And one other thing, if the fan's pull chain operation is the usual high, medium and low for the speeds will the Maestro fan control and C•L dimmer work to run the four variable speeds that are on the control switch? Thank you for any help you're able to provide.

Quote Originally Posted by KBear View Post
    Hello everyone. I have a situation in the home we just purchased. In the kitchen there is a ceiling fan (without a base light - just a stand alone ceiling fan with a pull chain to operate it). The only way that this ceiling fan will operate is if the switch to the downlight over the sink is powered "on". I want to separate the two so that I don't need to have the downlight over the sink on while the ceiling fan is running. Now, I'm almost certain there are two separate load wires to both the downlight and the ceiling fan separately with one line in (I haven't looked yet but I'm almost certain it was wired this way?). My question is since the downlight and the ceiling fan are separate will a Maestro fan control and C•L dimmer work in this situation? Yes, it will be a single pole scenario. And one other thing, if the fan's pull chain operation is the usual high, medium and low for the speeds will the Maestro fan control and C•L dimmer work to run the four variable speeds that are on the control switch? Thank you for any help you're able to provide.
    The more likely scenario is that who ever added the fan ran a single wire over to the light above the sink (assumed to be in the ceiling). To control them separately you would need a wire from the fan all the way back to a switch location.

Typically you use the pull chain to set the fan at its highest speed then use the wall control to adjust the speed. If the pull chain isn't set to high you will get some weird results.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thank you randyc. Boy, I sure hope that fan isn't wired that way but as you have mentioned that could be the scenario indeed. I would rather not run an additional wire from the fan to the wall box.