Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Using Caseta Dimmer with Zigbee Bulbs

Using Caseta Dimmer with Zigbee Bulbs

Hi - I recently added some smart (zigbee) color BR30 bulbs to on my front porch. They are wired to one Caseta dimmer. Since the bulbs need continuous power to stay connected to the Smartthings hub I figured I could just leave the dimmer on and it would be fine. However, when I turn the bulbs off the dimmer seems to shut off too. Is there a way to turn off the smarts in the Caseta dimmer? Whats the best way to have these two work together??Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jfleig1 View Post
    Hi - I recently added some smart (zigbee) color BR30 bulbs to on my front porch. They are wired to one Caseta dimmer. Since the bulbs need continuous power to stay connected to the Smartthings hub I figured I could just leave the dimmer on and it would be fine. However, when I turn the bulbs off the dimmer seems to shut off too. Is there a way to turn off the smarts in the Caseta dimmer? Whats the best way to have these two work together??Thanks!
    Dimmers have a minimum load requirement. With LEDs it can be 1 or more bulbs (depends on the LED). With incandescent it is based on watts. By using Zigbee to turn off the bulbs the Caseta dimmer has no load.

If the dimmer has a neutral, make sure it is connected. This greatly reduces the minimum load and is some cases the dimmer will work with no load. You may experience inconsistent operation if there is no load.

Dimmers and switches don't like to be dimmed. Dimming the Zigbee control can create issues.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com