Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Looking for a wireless 4-way switch to extend a conventional wired circuit

Looking for a wireless 4-way switch to extend a conventional wired circuit

Does Lutron make a wireless 4-way switch that can be used to extend an existing exterior light circuit? We've added a new detached garage with a subpanel, but no circuits are connected to the house lighting circuits. We want the exterior lights on the garage to be controlled by the house exterior light switch, and we want to be able to turn that circuit on and off from the garage. I was looking for a device I could wire into the house exterior lighting circuit that would communicate with a switch in the garage. I looked at Caseta, Radio RA 2 and Homeworks, and did not find something like that, but maybe I overlooked something.

Quote Originally Posted by rimrock View Post
    Does Lutron make a wireless 4-way switch that can be used to extend an existing exterior light circuit? We've added a new detached garage with a subpanel, but no circuits are connected to the house lighting circuits. We want the exterior lights on the garage to be controlled by the house exterior light switch, and we want to be able to turn that circuit on and off from the garage. I was looking for a device I could wire into the house exterior lighting circuit that would communicate with a switch in the garage. I looked at Caseta, Radio RA 2 and Homeworks, and did not find something like that, but maybe I overlooked something.
    Caseta and RA2 Select will do what you want. RadioRA 2 and HomeWorks will also but they are pricey compared to Caseta and R2S.

You would add a Caseta dimmer/switch for the house lights and another one for the garage lights. You can then program them to a Pico remote. The Picos are inexpensive so you could have 1 in the house and 1 in the garage.

You can have up to 10 devices connected without a bridge. So 2 dimmers and up to 8 remotes, etc.

Distance is an issue. Generally you want all of the devices to be within 30 feet of each other. If it is mostly open-air you might get more distance. The more walls you penetrate the more the distance gets cuts.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Caseta and RA2 Select will do what you want. RadioRA 2 and HomeWorks will also but they are pricey compared to Caseta and R2S.You would add a Caseta dimmer/switch for the house lights and another one for the garage lights. You can then program them to a Pico remote. The Picos are inexpensive so you could have 1 in the house and 1 in the garage.You can have up to 10 devices connected without a bridge. So 2 dimmers and up to 8 remotes, etc.Distance is an issue. Generally you want all of the devices to be within 30 feet of each other. If it is mostly open-air you might get more distance. The more walls you penetrate the more the distance gets cuts.
    Thanks Randy. So a few more questions: The lighting circuit that I want to extend has a 4-way switch that is about 25' from the new detached garage, so wireless signals should be fine. Can the Caseta switch work like a 4-way switch? Will the Caseta switch send a signal to the garage switch if the two travelers change polarity, i.e. if one was hot and then the other one becomes hot due to a non-caseta switch elsewhere in the circuit being thrown?

Quote Originally Posted by rimrock View Post
    Thanks Randy. So a few more questions: The lighting circuit that I want to extend has a 4-way switch that is about 25' from the new detached garage, so wireless signals should be fine. Can the Caseta switch work like a 4-way switch? Will the Caseta switch send a signal to the garage switch if the two travelers change polarity, i.e. if one was hot and then the other one becomes hot due to a non-caseta switch elsewhere in the circuit being thrown?
    Just to clarify, a 3-way circuit has a 3-way switch at each end (2 switches). A 4-way circuit has the same 3-way at each end but also has 4-way switches in between the 3-ways (3 or more switches).

The Caseta PD-5AS/PD-6ANS and the PD-10NXD (dimmer) will work with a single, mechanical, 3-way switch. You replace one of the 3-way switches with a Caseta dimmer/switch. You leave the 2nd switch in place and have on/off control from that location only.

In a 4-way circuit you replace one switch with a Caseta and use Pico remotes in the other locations.

With RadioRA 2 and RA2 Select, you replace one of the 3-ways with a dimmer/switch. You replace the 2nd switch with a companion dimmer/switch.

In RA2/R2S 4-way application you replace 1 switch with the RA2/R2S dimmer/switch and the other locations with a companion dimmer/switch.

They are all designed to maintain power to the internal radio so they can be turned on/off at any time.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com