Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: just made a fix on a system I installed in 2012...

just made a fix on a system I installed in 2012...

BACKGROUND: I created and installed a few RA2 systems years ago. Since then I have not used RA2 often. My experience is dated. Additionally, I was please with 8 years of no service calls related to this installation. PROBLEM: Recently, homeowner noticed some keypad keys did not work. FOUND: Several "activated" devices showed to be not communicating. I do not know why this occured. SOLUTION: Problem devices were deactivated then activated. After this all keypads operated OK. I didn't have to replace dimmers or change the program. DETAILS: RA2 system was finished in 2012. I was dealing with software version 5.6.6. This was the version I used when I left the installation in 2012. I tried to update to the most current software 12.6 unsuccessfully. I couldn't charge the customer more "time" to try to get the latest software work. At the suggestion of Lutron help, I did update the software to version 6.3. I am using the "essentials" software. ******************************Any comments or suggestions on my situation would be helpful. I expect a return trip. ************************************ Thanks,Scott
    Last edited by Griffin Electrical; 03-24-2020 at 07:12 PM. Reason: TO FIX

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin Electrical View Post
    BACKGROUND: I created and installed a few RA2 systems years ago. Since then I have not used RA2 often. My experience is dated. Additionally, I was please with 8 years of no service calls related to this installation. PROBLEM: Recently, homeowner noticed some keypad keys did not work. FOUND: Several "activated" devices showed to be not communicating. I do not know why this occurred. SOLUTION: Problem devices were deactivated then activated. After this all keypads operated OK. I didn't have to replace dimmers or change the program. DETAILS: RA2 system was finished in 2012. I was dealing with software version 5.6.6. This was the version I used when I left the installation in 2012. I tried to update to the most current software 12.6 unsuccessfully. I couldn't charge the customer more "time" to try to get the latest software work. At the suggestion of Lutron help, I did update the software to version 6.3. I am using the "essentials" software. ******************************Any comments or suggestions on my situation would be helpful. I expect a return trip. ************************************ Thanks,Scott
    There is an option under tools to "update main repeater firmware" that might help. You might need to set the Main back to factory defaults to clear and bugs.

I recently had an issue in a 2-main repeater system where one off the repeaters would not update. I tried swapping ports on the network... pretty much everything I could think of. I wound up creating a new program with just one main repeater and 1 lighting zone. For some reason you have to have at least 1 lighting zone. It updated fine. I went back to the original software/setup and everything worked fine.

BTW, if you update past 12.0 you will lose Home Control + functions.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Baby steps. I never upgrade that far apart in versions. 5.6-6.0-8.2-9.0 ect. Can't pin point any problems back to big upgrades. I know in the past sometimes I would have corrupt files and the last thing I could point back to while pulling out my hair was a big Firmware update. It's a slow, slow process. Always save a project file for each upgrade.
    Ok, the "never" is not always true but almost always. If it's a small system and only a couple versions apart, and I am having a good day then I'll stand on my left foot, one eye closed and push my luck.
    Also, depending on how curious you where about the devices falling out you could have pulled a support file. Issue is that long of a run without upgrades would have been a full report. Way slower than a firmware upgrade. Way slower. Like get it going go to another job come back a hour later and it may be done. And depending on when they fell out it may not even be in the support file. It only saves a certain amount of events and I don't remember that number.

@MitchE is right. We've done plenty of these upgrades from older firmware- 5s and 6s up to the 10-12s. Need to take the updates in smaller chucks rather than try to go straight from 5.6.6 to something above 10. You can access the older versions of the software after logging into your mylutron account and then going to Legacy Devices and select RadioRA2. If you can't access, send me an email andd I'll try and load them into a Google Drive account that I can send you a link.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols