Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newbie problem installing PD-5ANS to 3 pole switch

Newbie problem installing PD-5ANS to 3 pole switch

I'm trying to install a remote at the top of the stairs and a PD-5ANS at the bottom. It is a single bulb with a 3 pole switch. I followed the instructions and capped the three wires (red, white, black) at the top. At the bottom, I lost track of the common wire, so I'm not exactly sure how to wire it. I tried the basic way (red on switch to red in wall, black on switch to black on wall, white on switch to white on wall, ground to ground). The LED came on for the switch, but the LED bulb would barely come on (Could only tell it was on in the dark) and an incandescent wouldn't come on at all. Since I lost track of the common, I'm not sure how to wire it. I'm trying to follow the instructions here: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...structions.pdf. Interestingly, after capping the three wires at the top of the stairs, at the bottom I have the following voltage:Red to ground: ~10vBlack to ground: ~10vwhite to ground: ~120vThat has me super confused. Anyway, I'm sure I messed up by losing track of the common. Any suggestions I would much appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChalmers View Post
    I'm trying to install a remote at the top of the stairs and a PD-5ANS at the bottom. It is a single bulb with a 3 pole switch. I followed the instructions and capped the three wires (red, white, black) at the top. At the bottom, I lost track of the common wire, so I'm not exactly sure how to wire it. I tried the basic way (red on switch to red in wall, black on switch to black on wall, white on switch to white on wall, ground to ground). The LED came on for the switch, but the LED bulb would barely come on (Could only tell it was on in the dark) and an incandescent wouldn't come on at all. Since I lost track of the common, I'm not sure how to wire it. I'm trying to follow the instructions here: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...structions.pdf. Interestingly, after capping the three wires at the top of the stairs, at the bottom I have the following voltage:Red to ground: ~10vBlack to ground: ~10vwhite to ground: ~120vThat has me super confused. Anyway, I'm sure I messed up by losing track of the common. Any suggestions I would much appreciate.
    FYI they are called 3-way switches. I'm not sure where the term came from.

In a typical 3-way circuit the power comes in at one end (typ black wire) and connects to the common terminal of a 3-way switch. It then goes through traveler A or B (typ red and black) to the other 3-way, out through its common terminal (typ black) and up to the light (switch-leg).

In some cases both the power-in and switch-leg are in the same box. The electrician will relay power-in OR the switch-leg to the other end using one of the conductors of the 3-wire. This will still work with Caseta.

At the bottom of the stair you should have a 3-conductor cable (red, white, black). The red and white are being used as travelers, the black as the relay. You should have a 2-conductor cable (white, black). The black of the 2-conductor was the common.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com