Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-6WCL Dimmer Buzzing While Turned Off

PD-6WCL Dimmer Buzzing While Turned Off

I've recently replaced 3 3-way light switches and a 4-way light switch with the PD-6WCL dimmer and pico remote(s), however I've noticed that 3 of the 4 dimmer switches have a very faint buzzing or humming noise when they are not turned on. They do not buzz when the light is on all the way, nor do the lights themselves audibly buzz. To install, I followed the video instructions suggested in the documentation that came with the switches (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvjub64St3Q). I first identified which switch of the 2 existing switches had the "hot" or line wire. I connected that wire to one of the two black wires on the dimmer switch. I then connected the other 2 traveler wires to the other black wire on the dimmer switch. In the other box, I connected all 3 wires together with a single nut. Everything works as expected with the light, but the faint buzzing is concerning and it doesn't seem to matter what bulbs I have in the light fixture or if I even have any installed at all. That seems to tell me that there is still some current flowing through the switch, and that seems wrong to me. Any thoughts?

Minor revision: The buzzing does stop if I remove ALL of the lights from the light fixture. I tested this on all 3 fixtures that have buzzing switches and it held true for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerj714 View Post
    I've recently replaced 3 3-way light switches and a 4-way light switch with the PD-6WCL dimmer and pico remote(s), however I've noticed that 3 of the 4 dimmer switches have a very faint buzzing or humming noise when they are not turned on. They do not buzz when the light is on all the way, nor do the lights themselves audibly buzz. To install, I followed the video instructions suggested in the documentation that came with the switches (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvjub64St3Q). I first identified which switch of the 2 existing switches had the "hot" or line wire. I connected that wire to one of the two black wires on the dimmer switch. I then connected the other 2 traveler wires to the other black wire on the dimmer switch. In the other box, I connected all 3 wires together with a single nut. Everything works as expected with the light, but the faint buzzing is concerning and it doesn't seem to matter what bulbs I have in the light fixture or if I even have any installed at all. That seems to tell me that there is still some current flowing through the switch, and that seems wrong to me. Any thoughts?
    The 6WCL does draw some power when off for the radio and indicator LEDs. That's not enough to make it buzz. You could be getting some neutral interference. That typically occurs when a neutral is shared between phases. If any of the mechanical switches had a white wire attached to them you may have a dead-end 3-way. You may need to undo that to eliminate the buzz.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    The 6WCL does draw some power when off for the radio and indicator LEDs. That's not enough to make it buzz. You could be getting some neutral interference. That typically occurs when a neutral is shared between phases. If any of the mechanical switches had a white wire attached to them you may have a dead-end 3-way. You may need to undo that to eliminate the buzz.
    The ones that are buzzing had: Red (hot), black, white at the source where I put the switch (Box 1). At the other end they had red (not-hot), black, white (Box 2). For the one 4-way switch, one of the boxes had 2 white, and 2 black (nothing hot). Followed the same directions I was able to find in the Caseta Wireless Advance GUIDE PDF (https://www.casetawireless.com/docum...ced%20inst.pdf) on page 37. Altogether, the LED bulbs I'm using don't total more than 46 watts (3 lights @ 12 watts), so I don't think they should be overloaded at all.