Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ceiling Plan and Switch/Keypad configuration

Ceiling Plan and Switch/Keypad configuration

I am re-doing our condo that has virtually no overhead lighting or light switches. We are starting with the master bedroom and I have designed my first (ever) ceiling plan.https://imgur.com/a/Jt09lHWI I am considering whether it's worth going to the Select or RadioRA2 path. In another condo I have put a small Caseta system in. I haven't had any technical issues with that, but the main reason I am considering going the RA2 path is the flexibility of switches as well as the keypads. I want the availability of physical button to control each element of the lights. Unfortunately I do not have a local Lutron dealer, so I'm coming up with this myself.We are creating a wooden accent wall, changing bathroom door to a barn door and will be getting some new furniture.The idea is to have independently controlled bedside pendant lights to free up the nightstand space; use directed lights for the accent wall over the bed; and have enough overhead pucks to provide all over illumination. My wife also wants a ceiling fan, which I am not a fan of, because I'm 6' 4" and it's only a 8' ceiling. 5 zones in all or 6 if we do a fan with a light.Our design is further complicated by the place virtually being a concrete bunker. Concrete walls, ceilings, etc. We do have a drop ceiling so are able to run some overhead electrical, and are installing a soffit over the bed. We will need to cut into the concrete to run the switch electrical.Our electrician recommended putting 4 way control in on one side of the bed, with some controls as you walk in, and also maybe by the entry to the bathroom. The other side of the bed would only have a switch for that side's pendant.Using Lutron, we wouldn't have to hardwire as much, and I could then put in scene controllers or pico remotes in the other areas.I could really use some help with ideas on the number and location of hardwired switches as well as keypads/remotes.

Edit: What is up with the formatting? Hopefully this is easier to read!I am re-doing our condo that has virtually no overhead lighting or light switches. We are starting with the master bedroom and I have designed my first (ever) ceiling plan.

https://imgur.com/a/Jt09lHWI

I am considering whether it's worth going to the Select or RadioRA2 path. In another condo I have put a small Caseta system in. I haven't had any technical issues with that, but the main reason I am considering going the RA2 path is the flexibility of switches as well as the keypads. I want the availability of physical button to control each element of the lights.

Unfortunately I do not have a local Lutron dealer, so I'm coming up with this myself.

We are creating a wooden accent wall, changing bathroom door to a barn door and will be getting some new furniture.The idea is to have independently controlled bedside pendant lights to free up the nightstand space; use directed lights for the accent wall over the bed; and have enough overhead pucks to provide all over illumination. My wife also wants a ceiling fan, which I am not a fan of, because I'm 6' 4" and it's only a 8' ceiling. 5 zones in all or 6 if we do a fan with a light.

Our design is further complicated by the place virtually being a concrete bunker. Concrete walls, ceilings, etc. We do have a drop ceiling so are able to run some overhead electrical, and are installing a soffit over the bed. We will need to cut into the concrete to run the switch electrical.

Our electrician recommended putting 4 way control in on one side of the bed, with some controls as you walk in, and also maybe by the entry to the bathroom. The other side of the bed would only have a switch for that side's pendant.

Using Lutron, we wouldn't have to hardwire as much, and I could then put in scene controllers or pico remotes in the other areas.

I could really use some help with ideas on the number and location of hardwired switches as well as keypads/remotes.

Here is a working link to the plan: https://imgur.com/a/WbXK2ic

Quote Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
    Here is a working link to the plan: https://imgur.com/a/WbXK2ic
    I would put a local dimmer at each nightstand to control the adjacent pendant. I would split the remaining switches between the main door and bath door. I would add a keypad at the main door. You could toss in a few Picos or maybe a table top for the bedside.

You can find low-profile ceiling fans that should give you plenty of height. I'm not a fan of ceiling fan lights.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

First, if you want keypads you'll need to full RadioRA 2 as RA2 Select does not have keypad functionality. That's OK IMO as the full RadioRA 2 isn't a whole lot more expensive and has capabilities that are worth it. #1 important feature other than keypads is that the dimmer "on" level is programmable to a set level or the previous level. RA2 Select, like Caséta, is not programmable and comes on at 100%.

Next, I recommend going ahead and doing the online Lutron training. That will get you access to the RadioRA 2 Essentials software. You can then set up a system to see what different designs might look like.

Once you have your design set get a few quotes. The dealers will compete for your business, even a smallish order.

Finally on fans - find a low profile one with DC motor. They're much quieter. I'd recommend Haiku. Fans can be a pain to integrate with RadioRA 2, though. The RadioRA 2 fan switch requires a fan with pull chain. Which fewer and fewer fans have these days, especially DC motor fans. The Haiku fans come with an app that you can schedule settings. That tradeoff was worth it IMO.