Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Why is our local representative not helping us to QS training?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    16

    Why is our local representative not helping us to QS training?

    Hello forum, I thought to bring this up here to see what the next step should be to get Home Works training? Our local representative does not see our goals or our future we want to build with Lutron it seems. At this point he will not return an email to schedule a meeting with us. We have been talking on the phone with him only and it seems like he isn't taking us seriously. We are building Radio RA2 projects with 80 to 100+ loads in houses ranging from 7000 sqft to 12000 sqft. Sure, it works but having an option to do QS would be more than great!! We have also came onto a few jobs over the past year where we are doing a remodel and need to access the Home Works network and add some loads and modules and do some reprogramming. Very recently I had a project where the home owner wanted the Palladiom keypads through out there home and could not offer it. I could keep going on but I think you get the drift, any help or recommendations would be great!, thanks

  2. #2
    If your rep doesn’t want to help out, reach out to Lutron directly.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,828
    It depends on the type of business. HQS is primarily sold through AV dealers. There are a few electrical contractors and maybe some others that are HQS dealers. Lutron won't over-saturate a market. If they see the market as $$$$$ and they have 2 dealers meeting that goal, they aren't going to take money away from those 2 and give it to a 3rd dealer.

    Lutron has independent reps that directly support dealers. They also have regional Lutron employees that oversee those reps. I would call Lutron and ask who the regional rep is for your area. Remind them that you want the Lutron employee, not the indy guy.

    There is no reason the local rep shouldn't tell you why. If there is no opening on the HQS side, you may have to wait.
    LED, Incorporated
    Raleigh, NC 27614

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    It depends on the type of business. HQS is primarily sold through AV dealers. There are a few electrical contractors and maybe some others that are HQS dealers. Lutron won't over-saturate a market. If they see the market as $$$$$ and they have 2 dealers meeting that goal, they aren't going to take money away from those 2 and give it to a 3rd dealer. Lutron has independent reps that directly support dealers. They also have regional Lutron employees that oversee those reps. I would call Lutron and ask who the regional rep is for your area. Remind them that you want the Lutron employee, not the indy guy. There is no reason the local rep shouldn't tell you why. If there is no opening on the HQS side, you may have to wait.
    we have reached out the the regional guy and talked to two of his guys... Our market is booming and I know right off hand 3 companies that have homework's in our area. That probably is the reason but why not have more people using lutron vs if we cant then we go to control 4 or vantage? makes no sense especially after spending the time and money we have invested in lutron over the years learning caseta, select and radio ra2

  5. #5
    Thank you for posting something like this

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,828
    Quote Originally Posted by matalhdmatt View Post
    we have reached out the the regional guy and talked to two of his guys... Our market is booming and I know right off hand 3 companies that have homework's in our area. That probably is the reason but why not have more people using lutron vs if we cant then we go to control 4 or vantage? makes no sense especially after spending the time and money we have invested in lutron over the years learning caseta, select and radio ra2
    The Lutron guy (direct employee) doesn't have any guys. Lutron has an employee based in Charlotte, NC. His name is Brian Biga. He's the guy you need to talk to.

    FWIW... you can address issues with the rep but don't do it in a way that it seems like you are bashing the rep. I would also emphasize that you are looking at new business and not taking away from the existing dealers.
    LED, Incorporated
    Raleigh, NC 27614

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    300
    I think having more dealers is better because it gives the customers more choice. It used to be AV dealers used to do AV work because that's what they're trained in and the Electrical guys would do the electrical and lighting work because that's what they're trained and LICENSED to work in but somewhere in the last 10 years or so, AV guys have become more and more involved in the lighting side of things and offer packages to the builders and since most electrical guys (at least the cheaper ones who wire houses) don't want to deal with the headache, they do their thing and either follow directions for wiring or the AV guy brings in their own electrician who may or may not be a licensed contractor. That seems to be working for new construction but from what I've seen, the AV world is pretty volatile and a lot of them come and go. There is no licensing involved other than a business license so the entry to market is easier than an electrical contractor who at a minimum needs 8 years of training in many states to get a Master's license and thus a contractor's license. So who does the customer call when they see their lights don't work? The AV guy or the electrician who also does Lutron work? It depends. If you have a great relationship with your AV guy, chances are they're called, but if they're not around, chances are it's the electrician that's called because often the cause of the issue is of an electrical nature - light fixture is shorted out and needs replacing, a wire got loose, etc. so even though the electricians may not be selling new jobs because they've been shut out of the loop by the builders and AV guys, it's really to the Customer and Lutron's advantage to have diversity in the types of dealers they have. Believe it or not, not all customers are enamored by fancy integration of everything. When they push the Welcome button the keypad they want the lights to work no matter what and if it doesn't work, they want to call one guy to fix it without having to call the Crestron guy who will call the Lutron guy who will call the electrician.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1
    we are Lutron level 2 dealers, we have been trying to get QS certified for a while and they refuse to give us information...we have to pass deals through other lutron dealers and lose money for no reason...we need this fixed.

  9. #9
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    153
    Thank you for your post RYCKLC.

    If you could please email in to hwsupport@lutron.com with your information including where you are located, we will pull in the local Lutron Sales person to assist with you getting QS certified. We do apologize for the inconvenience and hope this helps!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by RYCKLC View Post
    we are Lutron level 2 dealers, we have been trying to get QS certified for a while and they refuse to give us information...we have to pass deals through other lutron dealers and lose money for no reason...we need this fixed.
    Same problems here. No interest from local rep. Lutron Corp just redirects back to local rep (loop).For new jobs we’ve had to steer jobs to other systems for now or use RA2 and add homeworks-like features using the Crestron or other proc.In a few cases had to use gray market HW hardware. Already know the programming and have the software. So it’s just lost Lutron sales. Sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Radio RA2 Online Training LCI
    By heatman5 in forum General Discussion - RA2
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2019, 08:12 PM
  2. Programming training
    By Whitenoise in forum Programming - HWQS
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-19-2018, 10:46 AM
  3. Vacation mode programing and QS Training Modules
    By kcraft in forum Programming - HWQS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2016, 09:05 AM
  4. L2 Training
    By texas doc in forum General Discussion - RA2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-04-2015, 08:58 AM
  5. Online Training Updates?
    By schalliol in forum Best Practices - RA2
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2015, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •