Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Occupancy sensor turns on lights but doesn't turn off

Occupancy sensor turns on lights but doesn't turn off

Before I get into specifics of my struggle, generally speaking, whether you're using QS or just standalone Clear Connect switches, what is the logic if you have 2 or more occupancy sensors in the same space? Is it that if at least one of them detects occupancy, then the lights are turned on, but both have to report unoccupied for the duration of the timeout before the switch turns off? The reason I ask is that in my case, I put 2 OCC sensors in the space in the QS software, but they are going to be painting the walls so I only installed one of them. The other one doesn't have a battery and I put away so I could come back and install it. For some reason the lights associated with OCC sensors turn on if someone walks in front of the sensor (after I have manually turned them off and waited the 5 minute time out) but they never turn off even when nobody is there. Could it be that the system is expecting to get the "Unoccupied" signal from the other OCC sensor as well but since I took out the battery and put it away, it's not getting it? In my case I also had to add a condition so that "Unoccupied" would only turn the lights off during the day time because the lights would be on a timer at night and I wouldn't want them to accidentally turn off but it was pretty simple so I don't think I've screwed it up...just that "between sunrise and sunset (give or take), if unoccupied, turn on the action that turns the lights off". Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    Before I get into specifics of my struggle, generally speaking, whether you're using QS or just standalone Clear Connect switches, what is the logic if you have 2 or more occupancy sensors in the same space? Is it that if at least one of them detects occupancy, then the lights are turned on, but both have to report unoccupied for the duration of the timeout before the switch turns off? The reason I ask is that in my case, I put 2 OCC sensors in the space in the QS software, but they are going to be painting the walls so I only installed one of them. The other one doesn't have a battery and I put away so I could come back and install it. For some reason the lights associated with OCC sensors turn on if someone walks in front of the sensor (after I have manually turned them off and waited the 5 minute time out) but they never turn off even when nobody is there. Could it be that the system is expecting to get the "Unoccupied" signal from the other OCC sensor as well but since I took out the battery and put it away, it's not getting it? In my case I also had to add a condition so that "Unoccupied" would only turn the lights off during the day time because the lights would be on a timer at night and I wouldn't want them to accidentally turn off but it was pretty simple so I don't think I've screwed it up...just that "between sunrise and sunset (give or take), if unoccupied, turn on the action that turns the lights off". Any ideas?
    I believe you are correct on the logic. Either can turn/keep the lights on, both have to turn the lights off. And, yes, it probably is waiting for the 2nd off signal.

I would remove both sensors and let them use the local switch for now.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks Randy. I was thinking of just putting the battery back in the 2nd unused sensor to see how it goes. I could just remove it from the software but then that would require another trip since any of the other people can just mount it when the painting is done!