Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta wireless work on a 12-volt electronic fixture

Caseta wireless work on a 12-volt electronic fixture

I have a chandelier that uses 12-volt bulbs and I always used Halogen in the past. I just bought some dimmable LEDs for 12-volt and wondered if this Caseta will work for this low-voltage system. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rpoe0728 View Post
    I have a chandelier that uses 12-volt bulbs and I always used Halogen in the past. I just bought some dimmable LEDs for 12-volt and wondered if this Caseta will work for this low-voltage system. Thanks!
    Caseta would be controlling the line voltage side off the transformer so that isn't the issue.

Since your fixture originally used halogen it probably has a magnetic transformer. Transformers simply raise or lower the voltage. In your case you put 120v in and get 12v out. Drivers include transformers but they also have electronics to condition the power for the specific needs of LEDs. If your transformer is more than 2-3 years old it will not support LEDs.

There are some magnetic transformers that support LEDs. I would not accept the assurances of the local lighting house. Call the manufacturer and speak to engineering, tech support, etc.

You could change the low voltage bulbs to line voltage (GU25). You would have to change all of the sockets and the line voltage version is ~1/3 taller than the low voltage version.

This is a link to a Lutron application note where they talk about dimming LV MR16s. I have never been able to get acceptable performance from LV MR16 LEDs on an existing transformer.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/048559.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com