Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newbie design help

Newbie design help

I need some design help. I have three outside light fixtures. Two are controlled by separate single pole switches. The third is controlled by 2 three-way switches. Two of the fixtures are double bulb halogen flood lights. The third is a standard 60 watt ‘porch light’ type incandescent fixture. There are no dimmers, timers or photocells involved. The switches are NOT located in the same gang box. Ground wires are available at each switch. Rewiring is not an option. I want to be able to turn all three fixtures on/off at the same time from any of the current 4 switch locations. Ideally, I would like to be able to add another switch to be able to turn all lights on/off from, but my basic requirement is to be able to turn them on/off from the existing switch locations. What components would you suggest I use?

Quote Originally Posted by armyguns View Post
    I need some design help. I have three outside light fixtures. Two are controlled by separate single pole switches. The third is controlled by 2 three-way switches. Two of the fixtures are double bulb halogen flood lights. The third is a standard 60 watt ‘porch light’ type incandescent fixture. There are no dimmers, timers or photocells involved. The switches are NOT located in the same gang box. Ground wires are available at each switch. Rewiring is not an option. I want to be able to turn all three fixtures on/off at the same time from any of the current 4 switch locations. Ideally, I would like to be able to add another switch to be able to turn all lights on/off from, but my basic requirement is to be able to turn them on/off from the existing switch locations. What components would you suggest I use?
    I would replace the existing switches with Caseta neutral switches (PD-6ANS). For the 3-way you are going to have a switch with a Pico at the 2nd location. You can then program Pico remotes to control any combination you want - 1, 2 or all 3 lights. You can also place the Pico any where you want. Instead of putting the Pico at the back door, maybe you put it in the kitchen. You could also add one in the Master as a panic button.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I would replace the existing switches with Caseta neutral switches (PD-6ANS). For the 3-way you are going to have a switch with a Pico at the 2nd location. You can then program Pico remotes to control any combination you want - 1, 2 or all 3 lights. You can also place the Pico any where you want. Instead of putting the Pico at the back door, maybe you put it in the kitchen. You could also add one in the Master as a panic button.
    Great info! Very helpful. Thank you!

@armyguns if you are an Apple iOS user, HomeKit can be set up to make this happen. I do not use Siri/Homekit for automation personally, so YMMV, but this is common for HomeKit users to "link" switches together as you are requesting.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

SDR-Mike...I am not currently an Apple IOS user, but thanks for the suggestion.

Another option is third party. I was doing this with Control4 prior to getting a hybrid keypad to replace the local dimmer. HomeSeer and Hubitat are more affordable options geared for the techy type DIY and can accomplish your request. Otherwise, any of the big type AV third party controllers can do this; Control4, Elan, RTI, URC, Crestron, Savant.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols