Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Maestro Controls - Solid Wire Only???

Maestro Controls - Solid Wire Only???

Hi Guys

Just installing my first Lutron system (RR2). Shocked to see that the install instructions say "Do NOTuse stranded or twistedwire". That's crazy. Many houses I go to has stranded wires pulled. Why on earth would the instructions say this?

Regards

mark

Mark-
    Houses are typically wired in romex which would be solid wire. I have made demo samples using twisted wire a few times without problems, but I'll let a Lutron employee chime in with an official response for us to follow.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    Mark-
    Houses are typically wired in romex which would be solid wire. I have made demo samples using twisted wire a few times without problems, but I'll let a Lutron employee chime in with an official response for us to follow.
    Not in the great cities of Chicago and New York. by code we have to use metal conduit :-(

Hated it at first, but grew to like it

Quote Originally Posted by mark2457 View Post
    Not in the great cities of Chicago and New York. by code we have to use metal conduit :-(t
    But is the wire you run in those conduits solid or stranded?

I live near Chicago too. Conduit is nice for retrofits/rewires, as long as you aren't trying to move anything.

Generally solid wire pulled through conduits, but I've sometimes seen stranded.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    When using stranded wire it cannot be used in the push in terminals in the the back of the dimmer. Also when you tighten down the screw on stranded wire it will fray out and also compress over time causing a possible loose connection. For these reasons only solid wire should be used. For residences that have stranded wire we would recommend connecting a piece of solid wire to the stranded wire and using the solid wire to connect to the dimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig W. View Post
    When using stranded wire it cannot be used in the push in terminals in the the back of the dimmer. Also when you tighten down the screw on stranded wire it will fray out and also compress over time causing a possible loose connection. For these reasons only solid wire should be used. For residences that have stranded wire we would recommend connecting a piece of solid wire to the stranded wire and using the solid wire to connect to the dimmers.
    I agree with that rational if you're incompetent :-) Any professional sparky can safely and securely attach stranded wire to a screw terminal. I always keep 1/8th insulation at the end of the stripped section. Makes it much easier to prevent splaying of strands.

That said, I wish Lutron would adopt the backwire system that Leviton uses on it's backwire receptacles. So much faster (it's basically a combo of the push and a screw).

Anyway. Thanks for reply.

Clamp style connectors

Quote Originally Posted by mark2457 View Post
    I agree with that rational if you're incompetent :-) Any professional sparky can safely and securely attach stranded wire to a screw terminal. I always keep 1/8th insulation at the end of the stripped section. Makes it much easier to prevent splaying of strands.

That said, I wish Lutron would adopt the backwire system that Leviton uses on it's backwire receptacles. So much faster (it's basically a combo of the push and a screw).

Anyway. Thanks for reply.
    I prefer the clamp style. Lutron has them on the Grafik Eye. Some manufacturers have the clamp inside the device, which may be what you are referring to.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com