Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fan - Light Combo Wiring

Fan - Light Combo Wiring

Hi All,

I have a pretty standard Hunter ceiling fan light combo. It has a remote kit but it's pretty basic. I'd like to use Casetas for this. I know Lutron makes a fan speed Caseta.

Is it possible to install two switches and split the load from the fan vs the light? See link below for a sketch diagram (sorry, attachments not working)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qrdhpru7m...Light.png?dl=0

The fan/light has pretty standard wiring:
    red - load-fan
    black - load-light
    white - neutral
    green - ground

Thank you!
    Last edited by nkapadia; 03-03-2020 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Formatting

Quote Originally Posted by nkapadia View Post
    Hi All, I have a pretty standard Hunter ceiling fan light combo. It has a remote kit but it's pretty basic. I'd like to use Casetas for this. I know Lutron makes a fan speed Caseta. Is it possible to install two switches and split the load from the fan vs the light? See link below for a sketch diagram (sorry, attachments not working) https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qrdhpru7m...Light.png?dl=0 The fan/light has pretty standard wiring: red - load-fan black - load-light white - neutral green - ground Thank you!
    I'm going to give that a solid PROBABLY. It sounds like you have the traditional 3-conuctor cable running up to the ceiling fan. If so you can use the black and the red as separate switch legs. I do have a couple off concerns though.

You should contact Hunter to see if you can bypass/remove the remote control. Sometimes it is a separate device and sometimes it is integrated into the controls of the fan. You should also ask if the fan will respond to a standard fan speed control if the remote is bypassed/removed. The fan may be looking for a specific signal that Lutron isn't capable of generating.

Because the fan and lights would be sharing a neutral I would go with a neutral dimmer on the lights (PD-10NXD). The symptom would be the lights glowing when the dimmer is off. It's mostly an issue with LED/CFL.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I have a similar situation as described, minus the canopy module. I am using a neutral dimmer and the fan speed sharing a single neutral. So far, so good and the LED bulbs are behaving well whether the fan is on at any speed or off.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    I have a similar situation as described, minus the canopy module. I am using a neutral dimmer and the fan speed sharing a single neutral. So far, so good and the LED bulbs are behaving well whether the fan is on at any speed or off.
    What do you mean minus the canopy module?

The hunter fan does have a remote but it’s super easy to disconnect it from the fan. I installed it myself.

@nkapadia- thats what I am referring to. That remote module that resides in the canopy attaching the ceiling fan to the ceiling. May want to check with the manufacturer, Lutron fan speed does not work on DC motors.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Hey @nkapadia Did you have any success here? I'm trying to do the same.

No I decided to nix the operation based on feedback. House has old wiring and I’d rather not get creative with its loads!