Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Set a timer to turn off lights after X amount of time?

Set a timer to turn off lights after X amount of time?

Hi, my home remodel hasn't passed final inspection because of a code that requires lights in bathrooms to automatically shut off if there is no occupancy. I don't have an occupancy sensor switch in the bathrooms, I installed Caseta switches throughout the house. Is there a way to program the bathroom lights to automatically shut off after a specific period of time, let's say 30 minutes? I think showing that the lights will automatically shut off will help me to pass inspection. Thanks.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello. Lutron has recently released the PD-OSENS-WH Occupancy/Vacancy Sensor or the PD-VSENS-WH Vacancy Sensor that could be added to your Caseta System and placed in your bathroom to turn the lights off when no occupancy is sensed. http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...691125_ENG.pdf At this time they can only be purchased from online retailers or ordered from your nearest electrical supply house. Hope this helps.

Be careful with the sensors. Some jurisdictions, mostly in California, do not allow occupancy sensors (turns lights on and off). They won't allow them even if you disable the auto-on feature. Lutron makes vacancy only (turns lights off) sensors for this reason.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Good news on this front, they rarely, if ever, check the part numbers. If you order the PD-OSEN, you can set to vacancy and the instectors never check the device- only operation. Convert back later if you want. If you are concerned, order the PD-VSEN which is Vacancy only, and cannot be converted to occupancy.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    Good news on this front, they rarely, if ever, check the part numbers. If you order the PD-OSEN, you can set to vacancy and the instectors never check the device- only operation. Convert back later if you want. If you are concerned, order the PD-VSEN which is Vacancy only, and cannot be converted to occupancy.
    That must be nice. I've seen inspectors here rummaging through the trash pile looking for installation instructions.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

They are "lazy" here in CA- too many regs to account for. They walk in or wave their hand to see if it turns on. If it doesn't, they turn it on and move on to something else, checking later that it timed out. There's about 100 other things to check to get past inspection.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols