Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Multiple locations to occupancy - Do all locations need to be replaced with a Lutron?

Multiple locations to occupancy - Do all locations need to be replaced with a Lutron?

I have 3 locations wired with standard 2 x 3 way and 1 x 4 way switch.Any location that needs occupancy will need a occupancy switch, but can I leave some locations with their standard 3 way or 4 way switch or do they all need replacing?Also can I put two occupancy sensors in different locations?

Quote Originally Posted by ankursethi108 View Post
    I have 3 locations wired with standard 2 x 3 way and 1 x 4 way switch.Any location that needs occupancy will need a occupancy switch, but can I leave some locations with their standard 3 way or 4 way switch or do they all need replacing?Also can I put two occupancy sensors in different locations?
    Most of the in-wall sensors will work with a single, mechanical, 3-way switch or you can use a companion switch (or companion dimmer if applicable). If you have more than 2 locations (i.e. 4-ways) you will need to replace the other locations with companion dimmers/switches.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I would like to know as wellIt seems I am not getting a clear answer to thisIf I have 2 switches controlling a bath fan can I just put the timer on one and leave the other with the existing 3 way ? What happens if you don’t put the companion switch on the other switch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_bladen View Post
    I would like to know as wellIt seems I am not getting a clear answer to thisIf I have 2 switches controlling a bath fan can I just put the timer on one and leave the other with the existing 3 way ? What happens if you don’t put the companion switch on the other switch ?
    The Lutron timers (MA-T51MN) do not work with mechanical 3-way/4-way switches. The other locations must be replaced with companion switches (MA-AS). If you leave the mechanical 3-way in place, one position will disable the timer, the other will allow the timer to work properly. Neither position will allow you to turn the fan on/off consistently.

Sometimes bath fans, especially remote ones are wired with switches in parallel. If so, the Maestro timer will not work at all.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com