Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 3-Way Wiring dimmer location

3-Way Wiring dimmer location

I'm going to be installing a few RRD-6ND / RD-RD in some existing 3-way locations.The manual makes it pretty clear that the dimmer (with neutral) must be installed on the load side of the the 3-way and the RD-RD would then be on the "hot" side.In a couple of the areas, I'd prefer to have the dimmer in that room with the lights (really an aesthetic choice) vs the entry to the room, however the existing wiring has the load at the room entry and the hot side in the room itself.I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzhhM-3hCM4 Wiring a Maestro Dimmer in a 3-way (With a Mechanical Switch) which makes it *seem* that you could place the dimmer on either end if you use a mechanical switch instead of the RD-RD (and are willing to give up the dimming capability via the remote). Am I understanding that correctly or is that just for a Maestro without RA2? Other potential options seem to be NOT using a neutral dimmer switch which allows it to then be placed on either side (but not using the neutral is not preferred when you have them) or to use a -PRO version dimmer.Are there other options I've missed / what would others do in this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
    I'm going to be installing a few RRD-6ND / RD-RD in some existing 3-way locations.The manual makes it pretty clear that the dimmer (with neutral) must be installed on the load side of the the 3-way and the RD-RD would then be on the "hot" side.In a couple of the areas, I'd prefer to have the dimmer in that room with the lights (really an aesthetic choice) vs the entry to the room, however the existing wiring has the load at the room entry and the hot side in the room itself.I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzhhM-3hCM4 Wiring a Maestro Dimmer in a 3-way (With a Mechanical Switch) which makes it *seem* that you could place the dimmer on either end if you use a mechanical switch instead of the RD-RD (and are willing to give up the dimming capability via the remote). Am I understanding that correctly or is that just for a Maestro without RA2? Other potential options seem to be NOT using a neutral dimmer switch which allows it to then be placed on either side (but not using the neutral is not preferred when you have them) or to use a -PRO version dimmer.Are there other options I've missed / what would others do in this situation?
    The mechanical 3-way option only works with selected models. Typically CL dimmers and dimmer-sensors. It is not an option with 6ND or the PRO dimmers.

You can try the 6ND at a different location but there is a very high probability that you will experience issues such as ghosting or not turning on/off properly.

The restricted placement of the dimmer only applies to neutral models. The CL model is not neutral based and can be placed anywhere in the circuit. I believe Lutron has announced discontinuation of the CL model in favor of the new and improved PRO dimmer.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com