Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Replace 2 single pole switches and a switch/outlet combo

Replace 2 single pole switches and a switch/outlet combo

Hi there. I’m not sure how to put pictures in. If anyone can tell me, it would be easier to make sense of things. I’ll try to explain tho.

I have two different issues I’m trying to figure out.

I have a single gang box with two single pole switches in it. They’re stacked on top of each other like an outlet. It has four wires attached. One is red, two are black, and one is the green ground. I’m trying to figure out the best way to replace these two switches with a smart switch. I’ve considered changing to a two gang box but I’m unsure of how to wire the switches to two separate switches given the way it is currently. Any thoughts?

The other issue I have is a single pole switch on top with a single outlet underneath. Same box. It’s wired with a ground, two reds, and a white. No idea how to upgrade this one... it’s wired with an S between the top screw/connection and the bottom on both sides. Any recommendations on how to make this smart?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreafreya View Post
    Hi there. I’m not sure how to put pictures in. If anyone can tell me, it would be easier to make sense of things. I’ll try to explain tho. I have two different issues I’m trying to figure out. I have a single gang box with two single pole switches in it. They’re stacked on top of each other like an outlet. It has four wires attached. One is red, two are black, and one is the green ground. I’m trying to figure out the best way to replace these two switches with a smart switch. I’ve considered changing to a two gang box but I’m unsure of how to wire the switches to two separate switches given the way it is currently. Any thoughts? The other issue I have is a single pole switch on top with a single outlet underneath. Same box. It’s wired with a ground, two reds, and a white. No idea how to upgrade this one... it’s wired with an S between the top screw/connection and the bottom on both sides. Any recommendations on how to make this smart?
    Lutron does not make a 2-in-1 device that will fit in a single-gang box. Well, they make a hybrid keypad but that still has a single dimmer. You may be able to combine the 2 zones. You didn't say what the zones were so this may not be practical. Converting to a 2-gang is fairly simple. Power comes in on the black and possibly goes out to the next box. from that you will need a jumper to power each switch/dimmer. Unless you have a switch/dimmer that requires a neutral, all the whites get tied together (no connection to switch/dimmer). All the grounds get tied together with jumpers for each switch/dimmer. The switch/dimmer only controls the black/hot going to the light.

On your existing stack switch, one of the blacks is bringing power in, the other black and red are sending power to the lights.

Hard to say on the 2nd one. The switch could be controlling the attached outlet. If so, replace it with a standard receptacle and use a PD-3PCL.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com