Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Am I using the wrong Dimmer?

Am I using the wrong Dimmer?

My home has a two-switch panel in the hallway and a three switch panel in the den. All of the switches are independent except for the ceiling lights in the den. Both the 2-switch panel and the 3 switch panel have a light switch that controls the den ceiling lights. I am trying to put a dimmer on the den light switch on the 3 switch panel switch in the den but have had no luck. I bought a Lutron C-L dimmer, Model # CTCL-153PR-WH. IT says it is for a three way or single pole. I wired it for the three way instructions but the lights don't dim. They do come on. I have not tried it wired like the single pole diagram shows because certainly this isn't a single-pole application. A couple of pics attached if they help. Thank you,Mikeoops, doesn't look like I can attach photos

Quote Originally Posted by madmike30269 View Post
    My home has a two-switch panel in the hallway and a three switch panel in the den. All of the switches are independent except for the ceiling lights in the den. Both the 2-switch panel and the 3 switch panel have a light switch that controls the den ceiling lights. I am trying to put a dimmer on the den light switch on the 3 switch panel switch in the den but have had no luck. I bought a Lutron C-L dimmer, Model # CTCL-153PR-WH. IT says it is for a three way or single pole. I wired it for the three way instructions but the lights don't dim. They do come on. I have not tried it wired like the single pole diagram shows because certainly this isn't a single-pole application. A couple of pics attached if they help. Thank you,Mikeoops, doesn't look like I can attach photos
    You have the right dimmer. Make sure the red and red/white are attached to the 2 wires from the same cable (probably black and red). The other wire should be attached too the black.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    You have the right dimmer. Make sure the red and red/white are attached to the 2 wires from the same cable (probably black and red). The other wire should be attached too the black.
    Thank you Randy.... this is how I wired it according to instructions. What am I missing?From Old: Common Wire with black screw to (New) Black WireFrom Old: Ground wire to (New) Green WireFrom Old: Red Wire to (New) RedFrom Old: Non-common black wire to (New) Red StripeIf I could figure out how to add a photo I would but when I hit "manage attachments" it just takes me back to the home page.

Quote Originally Posted by madmike30269 View Post
    Thank you Randy.... this is how I wired it according to instructions. What am I missing? From Old: Common Wire with black screw to (New) Black Wire From Old: Ground wire to (New) Green Wire From Old: Red Wire to (New) Red From Old: Non-common black wire to (New) Red Stripe If I could figure out how to add a photo I would but when I hit "manage attachments" it just takes me back to the home page.
    There is something wrong with the Javascript on this forum. Someone also said the forum software is several revisions behind. Lutron is updating servers, maybe...

You can send me the pics at randy.ledinc@gmail.com.

As a quick test, when you flip the 3-way at the other end, does the dimmer work?
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Hi Randy... thank you for your help. I tried all combinations of the hallway light and the den light and nothing changes the fact that dimmer doesn't work. As I said however, the on/off switch works on the switch. Worse case scenerio though, I would willing to forego the use of the den light switch in the hallway to have the dimmer work in the den. I sent the attachments I could not put on here to your email address. Thanks again. Mike

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hello madmike30269,Thank you for your post! The best recommendation I can provide you would be to give our 24/7 technical support line a call @ 1-888-Lutron1 (588-7661) for us to do some over the phone troubleshooting with you and the dimmer on site. We can usually identify a root cause of the issue being reported in a short amount of time. Looking forward to hearing from you.Hope this info helps! -JustinF.