Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which Caseta Products for Switched Outlet

Question Which Caseta Products for Switched Outlet

I'm new to this, so hopefully there is simple solution. I have a switched half-hot outlet with 2 bedside lamps attached. Which Caseta products should I use to control these lamps from the switch, iPhone and Alexa?

Quote Originally Posted by RoGan View Post
    I'm new to this, so hopefully there is simple solution. I have a switched half-hot outlet with 2 bedside lamps attached. Which Caseta products should I use to control these lamps from the switch, iPhone and Alexa?
    I'd use the PD-3PCL. The NEC does not allow dimming of general use receptacles. You could use a 6ANS at the switch but I don't think that meets code either and is dangerous because you can have a plug in load with more than 6 amps.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products...omponents.aspx
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

So 'NEC does not allow dimming of general use receptacles'....means the switch at the wall should not be changed....or do I need to install a Pico In-Wall remote in place of the existing switch to connect with the PD3PCL. You know what I'm thinking.... if someone flips the existing switch it will mess up the PD3PCL function.

Quote Originally Posted by RoGan View Post
    So 'NEC does not allow dimming of general use receptacles'....means the switch at the wall should not be changed....or do I need to install a Pico In-Wall remote in place of the existing switch to connect with the PD3PCL. You know what I'm thinking.... if someone flips the existing switch it will mess up the PD3PCL function.
    You could make the receptacle hot all the time and use a pico with the PD-3PCL. There is a separate mounting kit to mount the pico to a wallbox.

The issue is that most dimmers are rated at 600 watts, a few for 1000w. None are rated for motors. Some plug-in devices, like vacuums, are rated at 1,440 amps. Plus there are typically multiple outlets on the switch.
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    You could make the receptacle hot all the time and use a pico with the PD-3PCL. There is a separate mounting kit to mount the pico to a wallbox.

The issue is that most dimmers are rated at 600 watts, a few for 1000w. None are rated for motors. Some plug-in devices, like vacuums, are rated at 1,440 amps. Plus there are typically multiple outlets on the switch.
    Hi, I just wanted to clarify what you said here. Looks like 2 separate statements that I just wanted to tease out...

Please confirm:
    1. An existing switched half-hot outlet (to a lamp) could be controlled with the PD-3PCL plugged in between outlet and lamp. To add a dimmer control function at the room entry, you could connect the wires in the switchbox to be always hot and then install a pico remote in place of the existing switch. The Pico can be programmed to then work with the PD-3PCL dimmer plugged into the outlet.

2. Your 2nd statement was basically saying that placing any kind of dimmer on a switch that controls outlets is not allowed by NEC.

I'm new to the wiring of Caseta and using Pico remotes, so I do appreciate any help!

1. You can leave the existing mechanical switch as is. The 3PCL will work fine as long as the mechanical switch is left on. I would still bypass the switch to avoid confusion.

2. Yes.
    www.convergenceusa.com