Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Receptacle neutral interaction

Receptacle neutral interaction

Wondering if there would be any concern from a neutral shared with receptacle circuits? New install of one lighting circuit (mainly using RadioRA2 controls) and a couple receptacle circuits (on different phases) using a shared neutral between them. I can't see how it would make a difference taking a "shared" neutral where the neutrals connect together 20ft from the panel, and separating them so they each land on the neutral bus of the panel, but I wanted to tap the knowledge here before I give the electrician the final go-ahead.

This is most likely going on in my house. Any loads on the receptacle could affect LED performance. My microwave really causes a dip in the lighting circuits that happen to be on the same branch circuit. House was built in 1989 when that was common. Without complete gut and re-wire, I just deal with it. Microwave stays off- no issues.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by PNWengineer View Post
    Wondering if there would be any concern from a neutral shared with receptacle circuits? New install of one lighting circuit (mainly using RadioRA2 controls) and a couple receptacle circuits (on different phases) using a shared neutral between them. I can't see how it would make a difference taking a "shared" neutral where the neutrals connect together 20ft from the panel, and separating them so they each land on the neutral bus of the panel, but I wanted to tap the knowledge here before I give the electrician the final go-ahead.
    You are right that it doesn't make sense, but it does make a difference. Especially if the neutral is shared between different phases. Noise on the neutral can affect electronics like dimmers, TVs, LEDs, etc. I'd say it is a good investment to split the neutrals.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com