Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta setup

Caseta setup

I previously had Radio Ra in my theater room. There were 2 dimmers, 1 for the lights on the perimeter and 1 for the lights in the middle. We had set up themes such as intermission which would use half of the lights at half power, etc. Unfortunately, I've changed systems and the Radio Ra dimmers will no longer work. I'm thinking of trying the Caseta series as it seems simpler. The question is, do I still need 2 dimmers and how can I set up the 2 sets of lights to interact so that I can have different lighting themes? Do I need 2 remotes or can the 2 sets of lights somehow be configured to work together off of one remote? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick2 View Post
    I previously had Radio Ra in my theater room. There were 2 dimmers, 1 for the lights on the perimeter and 1 for the lights in the middle. We had set up themes such as intermission which would use half of the lights at half power, etc. Unfortunately, I've changed systems and the Radio Ra dimmers will no longer work. I'm thinking of trying the Caseta series as it seems simpler. The question is, do I still need 2 dimmers and how can I set up the 2 sets of lights to interact so that I can have different lighting themes? Do I need 2 remotes or can the 2 sets of lights somehow be configured to work together off of one remote? Thanks.
    I just installed a Caseta system in my house. I don't have experience with the Radio Ra so can't offer a frame of reference there, but with the Caseta, you would have a Caseta dimmer on each load and you can set up scenes to control levels like intermission, showtime, lights up after the show, etc. These can be controlled with your smart phone, tablet or Caseta button remotes. I have one Smart Bridge centrally located in a wiring closet in our 4500 sq ft house (two story), everything works great. Super easy to program and change when needs change (unlike my old home where I needed a programmer to make changes to my smart lighting programs).

If you want to control the 2 zones separately you will need 2 dimmers. If any of the zones are controlled from more than 1 location, Caseta is going to require some rewiring.

There are a variety of Pico hand-held remotes available. A Pico can control 1 or more zones. There are 4 button models which can give you 4 difference scenes.

If you want to control the lights through the theater system you will probably need the Caseta bridge. I'm not aware of any theater control system that talks directly to Caseta devices.

The same Pico remotes will work with RadioRA 2 devices.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thank you for the responses. Will 1 remote be sufficient to run the 2 dimmers? And if so, is there some instruction as to how to connect the dimmers and remote?
    Thanks

Thank you for the responses. Will 1 remote be sufficient to run the 2 dimmers? And if so, is there some instruction as to how to connect the dimmers and remote? Thanks
    Systems without a processor (Caseta Bridge, RA2 Select main repeater, RA2 Main Repeater) are generally limited to 10 devices. A single Pico can control both of your dimmers. There are a variety of Pico button configurations. Some are designed to mimic the functions of the dimmers (on/off/raise/lower). Some are designed to be more keypad-like (see 4 button Pico).

Programming instructions are included with the Pico. There are also a ton of videos on YouTube.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com