Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What kind of tablet or screen are you using for wall mount?

What kind of tablet or screen are you using for wall mount?

I have a RA2 job coming up and the home owner wants as touch screen on the wall in main area to control lights, sound, and other things. I thought of installing an iPad with a wall mount kit but have read any tablet with a battery is a bad idea to leave plugged in 24/7 because and over a years time will get hot and self destruct? So, what are you using? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by matalhdmatt View Post
    I have a RA2 job coming up and the home owner wants as touch screen on the wall in main area to control lights, sound, and other things. I thought of installing an iPad with a wall mount kit but have read any tablet with a battery is a bad idea to leave plugged in 24/7 because and over a years time will get hot and self destruct? So, what are you using? Thanks in advance
    iPad mini. You MAY reduce battery life by leaving it plugged in but mobility isn't an issue.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

You could always go LaunchPort. Inductive charging wall mount, and home owner can take down and use through out the space.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Just had a customer ask for touch screens after we wired for a two gang keypad. To be fair he did ask previous but I though we where past it.
    As I told him Lutron isn't interested in making touch screens. And I'm not a big fan of touch panels as the main control for general lighting. Don't like the delay to wake them up just to turn on lights. Hard buttons are my choice but willing to try something else if anyone has ideas.
    Told him to look into LaunchPort
    or https://www.vidabox.com/kiosks/vidam...fcddd08c128c48.

Surface Go 2 tablets. iPads will croak and bow with constant charging. I had an iPad in a launchport and it was ruined after a year due to the battery expanding. Surface Go’s run Windows and have better management of these things. You can find POE injectors and wall mounts for them.

Quote Originally Posted by radioRA2automation View Post
    Surface Go 2 tablets. iPads will croak and bow with constant charging. I had an iPad in a launchport and it was ruined after a year due to the battery expanding. Surface Go’s run Windows and have better management of these things. You can find POE injectors and wall mounts for them.
    This will only work if you run BlueSparks Android emulator on the Surface Go's. There is no windows app for any Lutron products. If you have a third party integration set up, then run one of their touch screens. Elan, Crestrton, and Control4 all make good touch screens, just depends on what you want to spend. If you aren't an Apple user, then a Samsung Galaxy tablet would do the trick. In wall placement or charging I have not looked into for these, but I imagine Amazon has some interesting solutions.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I had assumed the other posted wanted to know of solutions to lights, sound, etc., and assume they would be using an automation system.

Thanks All
    Should have stated there is no 3rd party and really doubt he will go that route. Thinking at min at ipod touch dock and using the app. Not what I want to do so looking for better ideas.

Launchport

I use the Launchport Luxe wall mounts and table stands. They are pricey but work quite well. So far (2 years) no problems with any of the iPads. Note that the iPad has a Guided Access mode that can lock it into one app, if you want it to behave more like a dedicated touchpad. See https://www.webascender.com/blog/set...-just-one-app/