Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-5WS-DV LED bulbs

PD-5WS-DV LED bulbs

Hey everyone, I’ve just installed a bunch of these switches and I’m trying to understand why on some I get a red blinking light, some I don’t, and I have the same LED bulbs throughout the house. The only difference being some have 3 bulbs in series, some have 1, some have 4, etc. can someone help me understand why the red light would pop up and also why some lights won’t turn off all the way while others do? Again, same bulbs, just different number of bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajhoss View Post
    Hey everyone, I’ve just installed a bunch of these switches and I’m trying to understand why on some I get a red blinking light, some I don’t, and I have the same LED bulbs throughout the house. The only difference being some have 3 bulbs in series, some have 1, some have 4, etc. can someone help me understand why the red light would pop up and also why some lights won’t turn off all the way while others do? Again, same bulbs, just different number of bulbs.
    All electronic dimmers and switches have a minimum load threshold. With incandescent loads it is easy to define. Your switch has a 25w minimum for incandescent. The PD-6ANS (with neutral connection) has a 10w minimum load. Since every LED is different, the minimum load may change between bulbs. A 60w Brand-x LED may have a minimum load of 2 bulbs. A 40w Brand-x LED may have a minimum load of only 1 bulb. The same bulb in Brand-y may have a 6 bulb minimum.

There should have been a Minimum Load Capacitor (LUT-MLC) in the package. It creates the minimum load for the switch to operate properly. They can also be purchased separately.

FYI - any dimmer/switch with a neutral connection will always outperform the non-neutral version. The PD-6ANS is always a better option if you have a neutral available.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Great reply! Thanks! So the minimum load capacitor, does it need to be on every fixture or just one of the fixtures in the series?

Lutron Technical Support
    Just one fixture in the series.