Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't find main Radio RA2 repeater on network!

Can't find main Radio RA2 repeater on network!

I am trying to start a new Radio RA2 project and have the main repeater plugged directly into my router (via a switch). I can see that the network connection light is on and the Main repeater LED is also on. However, when I try to Find the Main Repeater in Essentials, it can't find it. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.Suggestions?

When you put the repeater back on the network did you keep the firewalls off? When finding the MRP, the MRP uses a multicast protocol. I had to specifically modify my firewall settings to pass multicast packets. Try finding the MRP with your firewalls turned off but using your wired network.https://surveyvilla.com/tellthebell/

Quote Originally Posted by Choclit View Post
    I am trying to start a new Radio RA2 project and have the main repeater plugged directly into my router (via a switch). I can see that the network connection light is on and the Main repeater LED is also on. However, when I try to Find the Main Repeater in Essentials, it can't find it. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.Suggestions?
    If the repeater was on another network you may have to reset it. However, this is a last resort.

Try using a network scanner to determine the IP address. There are desktop and phone versions. Once you find the device, try pinging it. Pinging sends small amounts of data to the device to see if it responds.

On the find main repeater page: DHCP should be enabled unless you are 100% sure of the IP address.

Click "show advanced"
    Subnet should be 255.255.255.0 Gateway address should be the address of the router System address DO NOT CHANGE DNS servers I use google (8.8.8.8 & 4.4.4.4) System communications - if you are 100% sure of the repeater address use it. Otherwise, use multicast. Multicast is sometimes disabled at the network level. Especially with higher-end/enterprise grade routers.

This assumes you have tried the obvious - different cable, different port, etc.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Configuration:
    1) Set a DHCP reservation for the Main Repeater on the router. Lutron networking is finicky. The fewer things it needs to do the better.
    2) In Essentials, make sure to use DHCP. Disable DHCP only for troubleshooting purposes and set the configuration to match the host network configuration.
    3) If using Essentials from a VM on a Mac, make sure the VM network is in Bridged mode.

Troubleshooting
    1) Verify that the Main Repeater is connected to the network at the reserved address.
    2) Keep on pushing "Refresh". Sometimes the finding fails for the first few pushes.
    3) Power cycle the Main Repeater, Router, Computer. If working from a Mac both the VM and the host should be restarted.

Unhappy Mesh Router (Orbi) does not support multicast yet!

I just found out that the Orbi mesh router system does not (yet) support multicast. Is that the likely reason why Essentials can't find the main repeater on the network even though it is clearly attached? I have been able to program everything fine with a direct connection but want to get the Bridge working next and it appears that this won't work unless the repeater is on the router along with the Bridge.If multicast support is required, then I have to upgrade the router network...

Quote Originally Posted by Choclit View Post
    I just found out that the Orbi mesh router system does not (yet) support multicast. Is that the likely reason why Essentials can't find the main repeater on the network even though it is clearly attached? I have been able to program everything fine with a direct connection but want to get the Bridge working next and it appears that this won't work unless the repeater is on the router along with the Bridge.If multicast support is required, then I have to upgrade the router network...
    I have a similar issue. I moved my repeater from an old network where I’m pretty sure it had a static IP and now I can’t get to it. Curious how you made a “local” connection to the repeater, can you explain?Adam

Quote Originally Posted by krakman View Post
    I have a similar issue. I moved my repeater from an old network where I’m pretty sure it had a static IP and now I can’t get to it. Curious how you made a “local” connection to the repeater, can you explain?Adam
    Turn off the WiFi on your computer.
    Since there is no router/DHCP server you will need to assign an IP address to your computer. It will need to be in the same range as the Repeater.
    Run an Ethernet cable between your computer and the Main Repeater.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Having Connection Issues with new Verizon Fios G3100 Router

Much like someone else posted about Orbi. I too am having similar issues with Verizon's newest G3100 router. And it seems as though Multicast is being blocked even though Verizon Support says nothing is being blocked on their new flagship router.I was able to set up my RA2 system using an old Cisco router I keep with me for emergencies. Last Friday proved to be that emergency. I started out the morning by using a hard wire connection from my laptop to the router and used a hard wire connection from the router to the bridge and router to the main repeater. A LAN scan showed all devices on line. I disabled my firewalls and went to my Find Main Repeater. No Repeater Found. I tried going into the router settings. I set up mac address reservations. Yes both the Bridge and MRP were in the connections list and I was able to set up MAC Address Reservations. Rebooted router. Bridge Repeater and my laptop. Once again everyone appeared in a LAN Scan at the IPs I requested. Going back into the software still No Repeater Found. At this point I broke out my emergency router and everything showed up the very first time through setup. I proceeded to set up the RA2 system and devices. All went well until I took out my old emergency router and migrated devices over to the G3100. No Repeater Found...Still DHCP....Still MAC Address Reservations...Still no communication. Out of frustration I left my old router at the client's home running in tandem with the Verizon Router through DMZ. Everyone is somewhat happy except for me. I want my old reliable Cisco back. Client want's me to just use their expensive Verizon G3100 Fios router. There was a setting to Enable IMGP for LAN WAN Wireless and COAX....I enabled them all. Still No Repeater Found.Thoughts?
    Jeff Nale
    Lighting Systems Designer
    Gramophone | 4 West Aylesbury Rd | Timonium, MD 21093
    o. 410.308.1650 | f. 410.308.1631 | m.410.236.8371
    http://www.gramophone.com

RA2 uses multicast to talk to your PC, Aux repeaters, and Connect Bridge. If your router doesn't support multicast, give everything a static IP. Reservations won't help you, the Lutron devices will still use multicast. If they are static, they simply connect to the IP.You may have to initially set up your main repeater on a junk router of your own that's on the same IP range, just to set the static. Also, make good and sure your static IP is outside the range the Orbi DHCP is assigning.

Angry Verizon and Multicast

Worked with the G3100 Verizon system today, the Repeater and the Connect Bridge are in a LAN network all other machines are in the wifi - both are supplied (LAN and WIFI) by the G3100. All of the networks are running IGMP from the G3100. Whether IGMP is turned off or on the Essentials software will NOT see the Repeater or Connect from WIFI. I have to go into the equipment closet and hook the laptop into the LAN with an internet cable. IMHO Lutron needs a detailed FAQ (written by a network engineer) as to how to approach this problem. Their reliance on multicast when so few devices are using the ETHERNET side of things is ponderous. I have burned too much time on this one issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnale View Post
    Much like someone else posted about Orbi. I too am having similar issues with Verizon's newest G3100 router. And it seems as though Multicast is being blocked even though Verizon Support says nothing is being blocked on their new flagship router.I was able to set up my RA2 system using an old Cisco router I keep with me for emergencies. Last Friday proved to be that emergency. I started out the morning by using a hard wire connection from my laptop to the router and used a hard wire connection from the router to the bridge and router to the main repeater. A LAN scan showed all devices on line. I disabled my firewalls and went to my Find Main Repeater. No Repeater Found. I tried going into the router settings. I set up mac address reservations. Yes both the Bridge and MRP were in the connections list and I was able to set up MAC Address Reservations. Rebooted router. Bridge Repeater and my laptop. Once again everyone appeared in a LAN Scan at the IPs I requested. Going back into the software still No Repeater Found. At this point I broke out my emergency router and everything showed up the very first time through setup. I proceeded to set up the RA2 system and devices. All went well until I took out my old emergency router and migrated devices over to the G3100. No Repeater Found...Still DHCP....Still MAC Address Reservations...Still no communication. Out of frustration I left my old router at the client's home running in tandem with the Verizon Router through DMZ. Everyone is somewhat happy except for me. I want my old reliable Cisco back. Client want's me to just use their expensive Verizon G3100 Fios router. There was a setting to Enable IMGP for LAN WAN Wireless and COAX....I enabled them all. Still No Repeater Found.Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast