Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is QSX replacing QS processors or will they serve different purposes?

Josh, are you confirming that there will NEVER be RPM or Illuminations keypad support with QSX?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    SparkyCoog, thank you for your post.

We are not confirming that QSX will or will not support RPM or Illumination keypads. If you would like to use DIN rail in a Litetouch upgrade you would have to swap out panels completely for that to be done. At this time we do not have a UL listed app note for the upgrade of Litetouch systems to Din Rail offering.

Thank you for your response Josh. I really hope that this is just a temporary exclusion and you guys are working on bringing in RPM functionality to QSX in the upcoming updates. The way the presenter sounded last week however didn't leave me optimistic. I agree 100% that the DIN modules are better, easier to install, etc. but it's just not practical to tell people who currently have illuminations systems with 7 full panels that if their system dies, they have to use the old QS processor that's no longer supported in version 16 of the software and with Telnet being phased out, they can't use the new non-Telnet API. The LiteTouch upgrade...I can take or leave that one. It would definitely save money on not having to get an MI for each panel but that savings is gone with the cost of replacing the whole panel. I think it evens out at the end though the panel sizes are different. The RPM and legacy keypad support however I think is essential if customers are to have confidence in Lutron's future proofing.

Excellent thread!

Thank you for starting this thread. I have been on the fence on this whole QSX thing for a while now. Like typical one of my biggest pet peeves from Lutron is that they release a new Homework's product that has fewer features than the previous version. Nothing like getting stung when you tell a customer, yeah I can do that, only to find out that the feature(s) didn't get moved to the new system. I would much rather wait another year and have them get all the existing features in the new product, and only then start on the new "enhanced" features. I am also very curious about this huge concern with security. I am sure most of you have noticed that in QS some of the recent upgrades require complex passwords, passwords that are far more complex than the ones I need to use to log in to my bank account. This is also extremely frustrating. I have well over 300 systems that have been installed in the last 20 years and I have not once had any issues with security, maybe that is because we have good firewalls in front of our systems, but regardless I feel this is more than overdone on the security side. I also agree that the pushing of firmware is not a good idea. We in the field have to deal with these systems and what happens if a firmware update doesn't happen correctly and the system breaks? Will Lutron be responsible for paying for the service call?? (FYI...I already know the answer). I am all for innovation for sure, and yes Lutron makes great products, it just really frustrating especially in these very expensive home systems that there are always these new processor releases that seem to go off without regard to past installs, or even installs that we might be in the middle of. Perfect example for us, we have a house we wired 3 years ago and its all with RPM panels and modules. I'm not about to go back to the customer and say, we need to rip all this out to be current from a couple years ago because they decided to come out with a new processor that doesn't support the products you just bought. Frankly Im still trying to figure out "why QSX?" Faster processing? The lights turn on and off wine with QS. Better security? Already covered that. Ketra? Lutron won't let me have it anyway because I am not a direct account. No telnet for 3rd party integration? No need to explain this. Cloud updates? Not for me or my customers....I think for our business the answer is clear that we will stay with QS because there is no obvious benefit to QSX. I really wish that Lutron would come to their dealers and get input from them before they do things like this. We are the ones that have to sell and deal with the customers. We are also the ones convincing the customer that its a good idea to spend between 20k and 100k, or more to turn the lights on....Just my thoughts....

Why QSX?Patent is up on clear connect. Maybe they need a new way to keep things locked up!Been thinking about implementing an open source gateway to talk to clear connect devices. It’s convenient that HW, RA2, Caseta, and even some maestro stuff run same protocol. Firmware is different (mostly on caseta and maestro) so what you can make the devices do varies but I’ve successfully got control of a number of devices from the different product lines in the same system. Hardware is the same in many of these products.With an open source controller, could leverage all these devices without the burden of the dumb / closed limitations inflicted by Lutron via the processor.An open source processor / gateway might also change the conversation with Lutron. A shift in the balance of power could work wonders. Worked on this a little for my own use but maybe there is a “market”. Dunno.

Thank you dcne78!Same questions that we have, not calming answers so far.I'm so glad I found this thread, just in time: In the middle proposing a new system, which will be integrated into Crestron. Without asking the Crestron programmer, I guess the lack of Telnet support is a dealbreaker.I'm all about more and more processing power. But I play video games with more and more polygons in higher and higher resolution.Haven't noticed any slowness on a QS system.Summary:What most of your dealers need:-Telnet (or replacement (published) API. Anyway it will take timefor the control companies (Crestron, Savant, Control4, URC to implement it. What in the meantime?))-RPM (maybe in the future, I'm afraid it won't happen)-HVAC controlWhat we don't feel like we need:- faster processor-Ketra (maybe make a fast Gateway (which is doing the heavy lifting) work with the 'slow' QS processors)-Auto updates. Let us make an educated decision when to do an update.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcne78 View Post
    Thank you for starting this thread. I have been on the fence on this whole QSX thing for a while now. Like typical one of my biggest pet peeves from Lutron is that they release a new Homework's product that has fewer features than the previous version. Nothing like getting stung when you tell a customer, yeah I can do that, only to find out that the feature(s) didn't get moved to the new system. I would much rather wait another year and have them get all the existing features in the new product, and only then start on the new "enhanced" features. I am also very curious about this huge concern with security. I am sure most of you have noticed that in QS some of the recent upgrades require complex passwords, passwords that are far more complex than the ones I need to use to log in to my bank account. This is also extremely frustrating. I have well over 300 systems that have been installed in the last 20 years and I have not once had any issues with security, maybe that is because we have good firewalls in front of our systems, but regardless I feel this is more than overdone on the security side. I also agree that the pushing of firmware is not a good idea. We in the field have to deal with these systems and what happens if a firmware update doesn't happen correctly and the system breaks? Will Lutron be responsible for paying for the service call?? (FYI...I already know the answer). I am all for innovation for sure, and yes Lutron makes great products, it just really frustrating especially in these very expensive home systems that there are always these new processor releases that seem to go off without regard to past installs, or even installs that we might be in the middle of. Perfect example for us, we have a house we wired 3 years ago and its all with RPM panels and modules. I'm not about to go back to the customer and say, we need to rip all this out to be current from a couple years ago because they decided to come out with a new processor that doesn't support the products you just bought. Frankly Im still trying to figure out "why QSX?" Faster processing? The lights turn on and off wine with QS. Better security? Already covered that. Ketra? Lutron won't let me have it anyway because I am not a direct account. No telnet for 3rd party integration? No need to explain this. Cloud updates? Not for me or my customers....I think for our business the answer is clear that we will stay with QS because there is no obvious benefit to QSX. I really wish that Lutron would come to their dealers and get input from them before they do things like this. We are the ones that have to sell and deal with the customers. We are also the ones convincing the customer that its a good idea to spend between 20k and 100k, or more to turn the lights on....Just my thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by aries View Post
    Why QSX?Patent is up on clear connect. Maybe they need a new way to keep things locked up!Been thinking about implementing an open source gateway to talk to clear connect devices. It’s convenient that HW, RA2, Caseta, and even some maestro stuff run same protocol. Firmware is different (mostly on caseta and maestro) so what you can make the devices do varies but I’ve successfully got control of a number of devices from the different product lines in the same system. Hardware is the same in many of these products.With an open source controller, could leverage all these devices without the burden of the dumb / closed limitations inflicted by Lutron via the processor.An open source processor / gateway might also change the conversation with Lutron. A shift in the balance of power could work wonders. Worked on this a little for my own use but maybe there is a “market”. Dunno.
    There is a huge installed base out there. An affordable processor that could talk to Classic RadioRA should be a big seller.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ehome View Post
    Thank you dcne78!Same questions that we have, not calming answers so far.I'm so glad I found this thread, just in time: In the middle proposing a new system, which will be integrated into Crestron. Without asking the Crestron programmer, I guess the lack of Telnet support is a dealbreaker.I'm all about more and more processing power. But I play video games with more and more polygons in higher and higher resolution.Haven't noticed any slowness on a QS system.Summary:What most of your dealers need:-Telnet (or replacement (published) API. Anyway it will take timefor the control companies (Crestron, Savant, Control4, URC to implement it. What in the meantime?))-RPM (maybe in the future, I'm afraid it won't happen)-HVAC controlWhat we don't feel like we need:- faster processor-Ketra (maybe make a fast Gateway (which is doing the heavy lifting) work with the 'slow' QS processors)-Auto updates. Let us make an educated decision when to do an update.
    Ehome there are now modules released that will allow Crestron to control a QSX system.

I would rather see them require a license fee to activate Ketra features. That would keep the base price of the processor down, keep compatibility, and I wouldn't have to pay for expensive features that I am never going to use (i.e. Ketra).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast