Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is QSX replacing QS processors or will they serve different purposes?

Is QSX replacing QS processors or will they serve different purposes?

I am very very confused about QSX. I've seen the little video and description of it along with most of the tech notes on the site and it seems like its main reason for existing is to allow for Ketra lights to be integrated with it which the existing QS processor apparently can't do. It also has cloud firmware upgrades. At first, this gives the impression that it can do everything QS can do plus the Ketra and cloud firmware stuff, but then when I read the fine print, it says that QSX can't work with RPM based systems so right off the bat, it's useless if upgrading old HWI systems, LiteTouch systems, along with every other RPM based QS systems. It has its own DIN rail type dimming module. So my questions for now is 1. Is QS being discontinued now or in the near future? 2. If you don't care about Ketra (and honestly I don't get why anybody should as it's proprietary and switches and your choice of lights work better ), is there any reason to get it over QS?

Yea its kind of stupid that it isnt backwards compatible. You would think in typical Lutron fashion they would at least offer to sell you a license to create a RPM link on the QSX processor to allow you to retrofit old jobs. I can see it already- just like HWI users that are hosed and need to redo most of their systems to QS when the old processor takes a crap, whats gonna happen when QS is discontinued and there is only QSX and they dont support RPMs and other QS devices? And if Ketra is their main selling point then im not too sure about that. We went thru the whole process of becoing a Ketra authorized design showroom (or whatever they call it), and honestly we havent sold a single system yet. Plus add to that the fixtures we installed in the showroom are now all of a sudden obsolete since they are using different RF technology now! Not a big deal with retrofit bulbs, but we have lot of the Ketra recessed lighting fixtures permanently installed in the ceiling. Oh and in our showroom we cant even go to QSX since our Ketra fixtures are the older ones and you cant just change out a part inside them to upgrade to the latest version! We already have one that has a problem and the whole fixture needs to be replaced! How does that go over with a homeowner that spent tens of thousands on a lighting system when you tell them you have to tear the ceiling apart??

For me it all depends on the price. If the P7 processor is 50% more because of Ketra it is a no-sale. Ketra is cool but I see it as something for the 1% of the 1%. I don't see it turning into another major product line like shades did. Unless of course, they can get the price way, way, way down.

I did see where they said MI and Legacy links would not be supported at launch. That implies that they will be adding it, probably with a license fee as JOHNMAX noted.

I would rather see them require a license fee to activate Ketra features. That would keep the base price of the processor down, keep compatibility, and I wouldn't have to pay for expensive features that I am never going to use (i.e. Ketra).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Lutron Technical Support
    To clarify some of the questions in this thread, the QSX processor is the next generation version of the QS processor. It features increased processing power and memory that will allow Lutron to continue to deliver game changing innovations over the next decade. It was designed in a way to allow for an easy transition from QS to QSX and offers most of the same features as QS. All QS and QS wireless devices that work with QS processors also work with QSX, except for the Dynamic Keypad. QS processor databases can be upgraded to work with QSX processors. The QSX processor also has all the capabilities of the Connect Bridge, so that Connect Bridges are not required when working with QSX. A few features won’t make the initial launch. These exceptions are called out in the Design Guide that is available on myResources. Thanks to the ability to firmware update the processors through the cloud, many of these features will simply appear for homeowners without you needing to go back to site. It is true that only QS and QS wireless links will be available at launch. We can not yet comment on whether RPM or other legacy links will be available for QSX. It is recommended to keep systems with RPM and legacy links as QS for the time being. The same applies to LiteTouch and HWI upgrades. While there will be limited new development for QS processors, Lutron does not have any plans at this point to obsolete QS. We understand the amount of legacy systems deployed into homes and make every effort to support those customers for as long as possible. As for the price of the QSX processor, it will be slightly more than a QS processor, but less than the cost of a QS processor and a Connect Bridge. Because RPM will not be available, we also strongly recommend moving all new designs to DIN based panels so that they can be easily upgraded to QSX. The QSX processor has a counterpart, the Clear Connect Gateway with Type X technology, that supports the addition of Ketra as a native load in a HomeWorks system, but this part is only required for systems using Ketra. Please let us know if you have any further questions and we would be happy to help

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron D. View Post
    he same applies to LiteTouch and HWI upgrades. While there will be limited new development for QS processors, Lutron does not have any plans at this point to obsolete QS. We understand the amount of legacy systems deployed into homes and make every effort to support those customers for as long as possible. As for the price of the QSX processor, it will be slightly more than a QS processor, but less than the cost of a QS processor and a Connect Bridge. Because RPM will not be available, we also strongly recommend moving all new designs to DIN based panels so that they can be easily upgraded to QSX. The QSX processor has a counterpart, the Clear Connect Gateway with Type X technology, that supports the addition of Ketra as a native load in a HomeWorks system, but this part is only required for systems using Ketra. Please let us know if you have any further questions and we would be happy to help
    Thank you for clearing some things up. The reason I was asking was actually specifically because I am bidding a LiteTouch upgrade now and I want to be able to tell customer honestly that if they're going to spend all the money they really don't want to be spending right now (on the account of Savant's betrayal), that at least their system will be supported going forward and not treated the way Lutron treated Illuminations sytems - that is to tell customers that their less than 10 year old system that had failed needed to be upgraded to QS. Truthfully, I DO like the new DIN rail module because they don't need an expensive Module Interface, but if that's the way going forward, why doesn't Lutron have DIN panels? Is that something that's coming up or are we supposed to find our own panels and just mount DIN rails on them without UL approval? Anyway, I really hope you guys bring back the road-shows for existing dealers. Everything is so focused on trying to get new Pros to sell Caseta (system that I love BTW) so it's just getting hard to get correct information. This forum itself was down for a couple of days.

I agree about Ketra. If anything it's Ketra that's a super specialty product so I hope there will be support for RPMs and there is no license fee because RPMs are a current product and are a very big part of centralized systems that can't just be converted without spending 10's of thousands of dollars. Speaking of Ketra, for the life of me I can't see any benefit to them. For years Lutron was preaching that smart controls were better than smart bulbs and now they're pushing these smart bulbs? Even millionaires are smart enough to not buy a specialty light that only one place sells which may or may not be supported in 15 years.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    SparkyCoog,Lutron does over some Din Rail panels.Feed through: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...691055_ENG.pdf And breakered: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...06_ENG.pdfHope this helps!

Got a couple questions-

Saw this-

*Note: Telnet is not a supported method of integration to a HomeWorks QSX system starting at HomeWorks version 16.0.

Is there a new published API then?

also, this is a bit of a bummer-

3. App Control of HVAC
    Lutron HVAC systems will not be controllable through the app. This feature can be automatically deployed to systems through the cloud once development is complete.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by weekscolin View Post
    Got a couple questions-Saw this-*Note: Telnet is not a supported method of integration to a HomeWorks QSX system starting at HomeWorks version 16.0.Is there a new published API then?also, this is a bit of a bummer-3. App Control of HVACLutron HVAC systems will not be controllable through the app. This feature can be automatically deployed to systems through the cloud once development is complete.
    There is a new API used to integrate with QSX systems, however the protocol is not published at this time. Lutron is working directly with key integration partners to develop new drivers based on this protocol. Regarding control of HVAC from the app, while we can’t commit to a specific timeline, our engineering team will be working on rapidly filling out features like this following the release. As mentioned in the app note, features like this can be remotely deployed, delighting your customers with it post-launch / ongoing basis

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron D. View Post
    ...While there will be limited new development for QS processors, Lutron does not have any plans at this point to obsolete QS. We understand the amount of legacy systems deployed into homes and make every effort to support those customers for as long as possible...
    History disagrees with you. I started installing HomeWorks Original. Within a year of the release of each new processor, the previous generation was obsoleted. Sometimes within a few months. Considering Lutron left out critical features like RPMs and Telnet, it might take a little longer to obsolete the P6 processor.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast