Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is QSX replacing QS processors or will they serve different purposes?

I’ve been avoiding upgrading illumination system cuz of this QSX BS. Has anyone tried just pulling the RPMs from dimming panels and mounting din rails inside. Then just add jumpers from the terminal blocks to the new dimming modules. Seems like it could be done neatly and not having to change the entire panel would make it a reasonable transition.

I assume this new clear connect A is not compatible with illumination’s RF dimmers which I think is just clear connect but maybe clear connect started with QS and RA2. I started with original Homeworks before interactive so it’s all a bit blurred. Why no RF palladium keypads and tstats or are they just not shown on the QSX architecture pdf?
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Quote Originally Posted by vining View Post
    I’ve been avoiding upgrading illumination system cuz of this QSX BS. Has anyone tried just pulling the RPMs from dimming panels and mounting din rails inside. Then just add jumpers from the terminal blocks to the new dimming modules. Seems like it could be done neatly and not having to change the entire panel would make it a reasonable transition.
    Keep in mind that it would be against the NEC to install devices that are not UL listed. If you put in din rails in the RPM panel and Lutron hasn't signed off on that, then something overheats and catches on fire later, there will be hell to paid for that. Air circulation is a big deal for dimming modules.

The other thing to note is that for most people RPMs are perfectly fine. 4U RPMs do a very nice job with most forward phase dimmable lights and 4A RPMS can do reverse phase as well and I've never had a single issue with them. It's just unreasonable for Lutron to want people to completely get rid of them and throw away perfectly working RPMs.

PD8-PNL-8-SUB is Lutron's solution. It is a sub panel that goes in a PNL8 to allow mounting DIN modules. It's pricey but is UL approved.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    Keep in mind that it would be against the NEC to install devices that are not UL listed. If you put in din rails in the RPM panel and Lutron hasn't signed off on that, then something overheats and catches on fire later, there will be hell to paid for that. Air circulation is a big deal for dimming modules.

The other thing to note is that for most people RPMs are perfectly fine. 4U RPMs do a very nice job with most forward phase dimmable lights and 4A RPMS can do reverse phase as well and I've never had a single issue with them. It's just unreasonable for Lutron to want people to completely get rid of them and throw away perfectly working RPMs.
    all part and enclosures are UL listed but the manufacturer’s installation instructions for a PNL-8 might stipulate that its just for approved RPMs and then list them and then din rail modules might say approved for installation in certain panels with the PNL’s not listed as an approved model.

As far as heat there is a doc that I came across that specified spacing for heat dissipation and considering these are now intended to handle much lighter LED loads I can’t see them putting out more heat than a 4U or 4A. Anyway thanks for the input but the PD8-PNL-8-SUB that Randyc mentioned sounds exactly like what I would ideally want without having to skirt the NEC requirements for complying with the manufacturer's installation instructions.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Thanks, I didn't know they had an official UL approved way of doing that so yeah that would work. Still sucks to get rid of perfectly fine RPMS though :)

Thanks, I didn't know they had an official UL approved way of doing that so yeah that would work. Still sucks to get rid of perfectly fine RPMS though :)
    And all QED shade, all illumination RF keypads and dimmers and all wired devices. At least with QS you’d only lose all illumination RF devices, since there a wired keypad translator and they support H48/Q96. Even people with billions hate frivolously wasting money.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Quote Originally Posted by vining View Post
    And all QED shade, all illumination RF keypads and dimmers and all wired devices. At least with QS you’d only lose all illumination RF devices, since there a wired keypad translator and they support H48/Q96. Even people with billions hate frivolously wasting money.
    Yeah it really puts the dealer and homeowner in a bad position. Customers are smart. If you explain that the processor, some repeaters, and a few supporting parts need to be replaced and the system can be reprogrammed, for the most part they'd understand and be willing to spend 6 grand to update their system after 10-15 years. If you go to them and say they have to replace everything and spend another 60 grand to have a system that more or less does the same thing, they will at the very least explore different options. Maybe they'll go to an audio video company who sweet talks them into converting everything to Crestron and give them a packaged deal. Maybe they'll go the cheap route and find a used processor on ebay and just buy a few more years until they sell the house.

UL listing is weird. There is probably some fine print that says the DIN module has to be installed in a manufacturer approved panel. That may be why Lutron includes a new panel cover with the kit. The cover makes it essentially identical to a new DIN panel.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Maybe they'll go to an audio video company who sweet talks them into converting everything to Crestron and give them a packaged deal.
    Hey there now haha... We like making money too :) Unfortunately with these latest shenanigans from Lutron this is another thing to push people over to the other side. When I do Crestron lighting I can use every piece of hardware they have ever released and add it to a brand new system. If a client wants to keep their ugly old keypads or 15 year old lighting panel its no problem. Lutron doesnt care for their loyal customers who shelled out tens of thousands for a lighting system. Its BS they cant make things like RPMs or Grafik Eyes compatible with new systems.

Even Vantage, a company that I feel is clueless about the value of dealers and servicing existing systems (on the account of them getting rid of longtime dealers who weren't "selling enough") has options in place to reuse keypads and even modules from 20 years ago if you so choose. No extra hardware or even the weird "license fee" Lutron was charging for QS upgrades. I don't get it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234