Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which Switch?

Which Switch?

Hello everyone. This is my first time to post. I’ve learned some things by reading the available discussions. But I have a question that I am unsure of. I am planning to add some switches for some outdoor lights, both locations have a neutral wire. Also a dimmer switch and switch in combo (2 gang) for interior lights, which does not have a neutral wire. My question is: Do I use the PD-5ANS (or PD-6ANS) for the outside lights and the PD-5WS-DV for the interior switch, along with a dimmer switch? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by JimWW View Post
    Hello everyone. This is my first time to post. I’ve learned some things by reading the available discussions. But I have a question that I am unsure of. I am planning to add some switches for some outdoor lights, both locations have a neutral wire. Also a dimmer switch and switch in combo (2 gang) for interior lights, which does not have a neutral wire. My question is: Do I use the PD-5ANS (or PD-6ANS) for the outside lights and the PD-5WS-DV for the interior switch, along with a dimmer switch? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    If you have a neutral available I would go with the 6ANS (newer version of 5ANS). This may require digging the neutral out of the back of the box. If you use the 5WS you may need to use the MLC for it to work properly.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Mlc?

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    If you have a neutral available I would go with the 6ANS (newer version of 5ANS). This may require digging the neutral out of the back of the box. If you use the 5WS you may need to use the MLC for it to work properly.
    Excuse my ignorance, please. But what is "the MLC".

Quote Originally Posted by JimWW View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, please. But what is "the MLC".
    Sorry, sometimes I slip into geekspeak. Electronic dimmers and switches all have a minimum load requirement. It is much lower, sometimes close to zero, for devices with a neutral connection (like the 6ANS). The 5WS does not have a neutral connection so the MLC (minimum load capacitor) is used as a dummy load to meet the minimum load requirement. It may or may not be needed.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com