Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Current Old Switch Has 3 Black Wires - Help With New Caseta Switch Install

Current Old Switch Has 3 Black Wires - Help With New Caseta Switch Install

Hi ThereI was about to update a Single pole light switch with a Caseta Wireless On/Off Switch however when I pulled the old switch off the wall I see it has 3 black wires plus the regular wires. I assume this is 1 - hot, 2 - load, 3 - ?. Again this light is not controlled by anything else just the 1 switch so assume its 3rd black wire is for passthrough/travel to another point ? How would I go about wiring these wires into a Caseta Wireless Switch as I cannot find a wiring diagram that discusses this in Single Pole ?Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat_1 View Post
    Hi ThereI was about to update a Single pole light switch with a Caseta Wireless On/Off Switch however when I pulled the old switch off the wall I see it has 3 black wires plus the regular wires. I assume this is 1 - hot, 2 - load, 3 - ?. Again this light is not controlled by anything else just the 1 switch so assume its 3rd black wire is for passthrough/travel to another point ? How would I go about wiring these wires into a Caseta Wireless Switch as I cannot find a wiring diagram that discusses this in Single Pole ?Thanks
    One the existing switch, 2 of the black wires should be connected to the same terminal. You could have 1 wire pushed in the back and the second wrapped around the screw or you could have a clamp type connector with 2 wires under it. In either case, connect those two to the either of the blacks (6WCL) or the black (10NXD).

It is rare but you could have 2 wires going up to the light. Some times this is done with sconces or if a light was added afterwards.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com