Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Document for reverse engineering an already installed system?

Document for reverse engineering an already installed system?

Normally we use QS software to design the system so our reports are the system documentation.

Occasionally we get projects where the Lutron system has already been installed and we are contacted to program it.

Is there a set of "system design" blank documents that can be printed out and filled out by the electrician?

What im looking for here is a way for the electrician to provide me with serial numbers, products, room & load names etc. That way i can start programming before arriving on site.

Thanks.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by 39CentStamp View Post
    Normally we use QS software to design the system so our reports are the system documentation.

Occasionally we get projects where the Lutron system has already been installed and we are contacted to program it.

Is there a set of "system design" blank documents that can be printed out and filled out by the electrician?

What im looking for here is a way for the electrician to provide me with serial numbers, products, room & load names etc. That way i can start programming before arriving on site.

Thanks.
    39CentStamp,

Unfortunately, we are unaware of a set of "system design" blank documents.

A suggestion might be to create an Excel document that can have those columns (Serial #, Product, Room Name, Load Name, etc) and can be printed out for the electricians.

Quote Originally Posted by 39CentStamp View Post

Thanks.
    If I had to work this way, I think I would start with a rough QS design based on my own experience: in this case, residential with keypads and dimming panels.
    I would have basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor.
    I would have all the room names I expect called out.
    I would guess at the number of lighting zones and keypads in each space.
    I would then send those reports to the electrician for that person to mark up.
    The electrician could print these out and then mark them up:
    "Living Room - Zone 1 "could be marked up to read "Living Room- Main Recess - 6 x 50watt MR16 MLV downlights"
    "Living Room- Control Station 1" could be marked up to read "Living Room- at Dining Room Passage"

If it's all wallbox control, I would probably just do it all on site. Way too many variables.

Have you or the client contacted the previous programmer and requested a copy of the design file?