Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with new Lutron shades and caseta install

Help with new Lutron shades and caseta install

I'm and end user consumer and live in a major city in Canada and will be moving into a new construction condo in about a year. We have the option to add Lutron motorized serena shades with Caseta system installed by a local supplier. I've read the shades are expensive but I want to get your feedback on the pricing i've been given to purchase and install. They won't give me the actual size of the windows cause it may change during construction but based on floor plans the total length of all windows in the living room and master bedroom is about 25 feet by 7 feet tall. I'd guess 5 shades of 5' x 7'. The supplier quoted $4500 CAD for manual roller serena shades and quoted separately $12,500 for pre wiring and motorized serena shades on a caseta system. Does it make sense that motorized would cost 3 times the cost of manual? I can't figure out how or why the difference. I didn't think it was that difficult to install wired motor roller shades.I did go to serenashades.ca and try to price out 5 shades of 5x7 and it comes out to about $900 CAD per shade. The issue is the website says to contact Lutron if the installation is going to be wired and using a panel box which mine is. I see the box is about $1000CAD. So I'm up to $5500 CAD plus whatever the wiring costs are and install of the shades. Based on what I've been given from supplier that seems to be about $7,000CAD. Seems high don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by condocanuck View Post
    I'm and end user consumer and live in a major city in Canada and will be moving into a new construction condo in about a year. We have the option to add Lutron motorized serena shades with Caseta system installed by a local supplier. I've read the shades are expensive but I want to get your feedback on the pricing i've been given to purchase and install. They won't give me the actual size of the windows cause it may change during construction but based on floor plans the total length of all windows in the living room and master bedroom is about 25 feet by 7 feet tall. I'd guess 5 shades of 5' x 7'. The supplier quoted $4500 CAD for manual roller serena shades and quoted separately $12,500 for pre wiring and motorized serena shades on a caseta system. Does it make sense that motorized would cost 3 times the cost of manual? I can't figure out how or why the difference. I didn't think it was that difficult to install wired motor roller shades.I did go to serenashades.ca and try to price out 5 shades of 5x7 and it comes out to about $900 CAD per shade. The issue is the website says to contact Lutron if the installation is going to be wired and using a panel box which mine is. I see the box is about $1000CAD. So I'm up to $5500 CAD plus whatever the wiring costs are and install of the shades. Based on what I've been given from supplier that seems to be about $7,000CAD. Seems high don't you think?
    It's fair to ask them to explain the difference. The pre-wire is a significant adder. If you are in a high-rise condo it is even more expensive. you also have an added programming expense with the motorized version. I don't know the numbers for you city but programming and pre-wire could be half the cost.

Builders are in the markup business. If they get the shades from a local dealer, they add a percentage. That makes the price even more exaggerated.

I would also ask them to price the shades with batteries. The batteries will last 2-3 years and it doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to reach when they need replacing. The batteries are super easy to replace. You can always add battery shades after the fact.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    It's fair to ask them to explain the difference. The pre-wire is a significant adder. If you are in a high-rise condo it is even more expensive. you also have an added programming expense with the motorized version. I don't know the numbers for you city but programming and pre-wire could be half the cost. Builders are in the markup business. If they get the shades from a local dealer, they add a percentage. That makes the price even more exaggerated. I would also ask them to price the shades with batteries. The batteries will last 2-3 years and it doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to reach when they need replacing. The batteries are super easy to replace. You can always add battery shades after the fact.
    Thank you. Your comment is very helpful. The condo is on the 5th floor of a 10 floor high rise. Interesting to know that this might figure into the pricing. Wonder why that is.I've asked for details from the supplier but it's taking time to get answers given it's new construction. So, it looks like the extra costs are for pre-wire, install, markup on shades, and programming. Lutron must be in a special space in order to get these prices. I sure hope they're good and last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by condocanuck View Post
    Thank you. Your comment is very helpful. The condo is on the 5th floor of a 10 floor high rise. Interesting to know that this might figure into the pricing. Wonder why that is.I've asked for details from the supplier but it's taking time to get answers given it's new construction. So, it looks like the extra costs are for pre-wire, install, markup on shades, and programming. Lutron must be in a special space in order to get these prices. I sure hope they're good and last a long time.
    Just getting tools and material to the 5th floor is a challenge. There is typically only 1 elevator and you have to share it with other trades who all need it at the same time. The structure of the high rise isn't as friendly as a wood built home. It may be considered commercial and you may need conduit. Wire may need to be plenum rated which is more expensive. OSHA and its Canadian cousin are much stricter on high rise vs single family homes. Instead of nailing a $0.50 plastic box to a wood stud you may need a $2 metal box and a $1 bracket to attach it to a metal stud.

Lutron shades are that good. Lutron stands behind all of their products. I think their best feature is how tightly they integrate with control systems like Caseta.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Good points I hadn't thought about. Since I haven't heard anyone tell me that these prices are way out of whack and unreasonable I should commit to the fact that this is what it is and decide whether I want them or not for the price offered. I'm leaning towards taking the plunge and doing it. I love the benefits just got sticker shock when seeing the price. It makes more sense to me now.