Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Timer for centralized bathroom fan

Timer for centralized bathroom fan

I've been reading over a similar thread -- https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...t=timer+button However this scenario is a little different so I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas if it's possible or not. Home has 3 bathrooms with a single, remote located, inline duct fan for the bathroom exhaust fans. This means when any bathroom turns on the remote fan, air is removed from all three at the same time. This nice thing is this occurs silently. So I need to to be able to have someone in any of the three bathroom turn the fan on, but I don't them to be able to turn it off. The fan needs to run for X number of minutes, then turn off. Let's say 30. So if someone goes into bathroom 1 and turns the fan one the 30 minute countdown would start. If someone else goes into bathroom two and presses the fan button then this would reset the 30 minute countdown. Since the fan operation will be silent in the bathroom it will not be possible for the person to know if they are turning on or off the fan. That's why I'm trying to make it where the button press only has the ability to turn it on, and a countdown will be responsible to turn it off. If the person presses the button on the way out thinking they are turning the fan off, having the countdown reset is not a problem or concern. Can something like this be implemented in Radio RA2?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_West View Post
    I've been reading over a similar thread -- https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...t=timer+button However this scenario is a little different so I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas if it's possible or not. Home has 3 bathrooms with a single, remote located, inline duct fan for the bathroom exhaust fans. This means when any bathroom turns on the remote fan, air is removed from all three at the same time. This nice thing is this occurs silently. So I need to to be able to have someone in any of the three bathroom turn the fan on, but I don't them to be able to turn it off. The fan needs to run for X number of minutes, then turn off. Let's say 30. So if someone goes into bathroom 1 and turns the fan one the 30 minute countdown would start. If someone else goes into bathroom two and presses the fan button then this would reset the 30 minute countdown. Since the fan operation will be silent in the bathroom it will not be possible for the person to know if they are turning on or off the fan. That's why I'm trying to make it where the button press only has the ability to turn it on, and a countdown will be responsible to turn it off. If the person presses the button on the way out thinking they are turning the fan off, having the countdown reset is not a problem or concern. Can something like this be implemented in Radio RA2?
    I don't believe so. There are no timer or logic functions in RA2. The closest you can do is to have 3 switches (8ANS) in parallel. You would need 2 buttons on a keypad (1 if the 8ANS is accessible). The 1st button turns the fan on. The 2nd button turns the fan off with a 30 minute delay. Technically they are not turning the fan off, rather starting the 30 minute delay. Because the switches are in parallel it comes down to who pressed the off button last.

I would check with tech support on placing the switches in parallel. I know the Maestro timers (MA-T51xxx) won't work in parallel.

Most fan manufacturers have a system that does what you are describing.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

What about using multiple occupancy sensors in each bathroom to control a single, remote mounted switch to control the fan?

We have this essentially. Two occupancy sensors (in one large master bathroom). The primary controls the main bathroom lighting, and the secondary is in the commode area that triggers the fan / local light. One of the maestro switches controls the fan, and the fallback is set to turn off after 10 minutes. There is no local switch in the commode room to turn on the fan (its at the entrance to the master bathroom), so we've opted to always turn on the fan when present in the commode. I have a more detailed posting about this here in the forum somewhere.

Why not use rollback.
    Bath 1,2,3 each have their own keypad with a FAN button. Programmed as Single/Multi Room.
    Then make a room called Exhaust Fan. Enable rollback for that device in that room for 30 min.
    I believe this should work. But may be corrected. Use this feature all the time for patio heaters with multiple keypads.
    Made a file and took some JPG screen shots but can't get them to upload here. Will keep trying.

I agree with MitchE use the rollback. Program the Exhaust fan as a Scene to turn ON not a toggle so the LED will be on when the fan is on (or scene is called). All the keypads Exhaust Fan LED will light when any button is pressed.Set the rollback timer for 30 mins. If the LED is off the person can turn it on and it will stay on for 30 mins and turn off automatically.