Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Multiple home Caseta with Alexa

Multiple home Caseta with Alexa

I have moved my two homes to the same account in the Lutron Caseta App. Everything works and I can switch between the two homes. I now only have one account for Alexa; however, Alexa will only populate devices for the first home. Is there a new skill for Alexa that must be enabled that will work for multiple homes in an account?

Lutron Technical Support
    Each Alexa account can only link to one bridge. You would need to have a second Alexa account for the second bridge.

If you are happy with voice control, Brian W. is right, you'll need a second Alexa account. Use another person in your family for the second home, or you could make one home Google Assistant (would take a bit of getting used to, however).
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I had been using multiple accounts for the two homes and cloning both the android Lutron Caseta and Amazon Alexa apps so that I didn't need to logoff and logon to switch homes. There were two problems with this: 1. when an app was updated, I had to re-clone it on all the android devices, and 2. there is no clone app for iPhone/iPad. With the new multiple homes feature of the Lutron Caseta app, it seemed that this would solve my two problems. Lutron connect has had the multiple homes feature a lot longer, does its Alexa skill handle multiple homes, or does it have the same problem?

I could use a little my clarity on this. I thought that if I had multiple homes when you combine the two in the Lutron app you could switch between homes in the app but that alexa didn't support that. I was on the phone with both Lutron and amazon support and I wound up having to create two Lutron accounts and then logging into each one when I wanted to manipulate those particular homes.
    So my clarifing question is this scenarior

I can link both homes in the lutron app and switch between them in the app
    but
    when I'm in one home or the other I would have alexa in separate accounts with the the skills attached to my overall lutron account and then I could control my lutron devices from alexa in the house I am in at that time?

Does my question make sense?
    thanks
    Dino

Lutron Technical Support
    Makes Sense. Both homes linked in the Lutron app under one account. Two separate Alexa accounts needed. Each linked to a different home.

Does Alexa communicate locally with the Pro Bridge, or does it always go out to cloud? The reason I ask, I have multiple subnets at home. I know for other things, Alexa requires devices to be on the same VLAN ie Broadcast domain to work seemlessly. IS this true for the Caseta bridge too, or can I move it to a separate, but locally and routable vlan?

Thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    Alexa communicates with Lutron over the cloud so if they are on separate vlans, everything should work fine.