Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I'm sure I can do this but what would I need

I'm sure I can do this but what would I need

I have a front entry way light with a switch that's been working since the house was built in the 50'sacross a small yard on the garage I have a second light that doesn't have a switch its just always on.was wondering if I could get a smart switch for the entry way light and then add some kind of a remote receiver to the garage light to come on whenever the entry switch was turned on?some added detail:I'm having some electrical work done soon and was told that the electrician was using Lutron switches for some of the remote places where they couldn't run new wires and that I could get a bridge if I wanted to control them through apps etc which i plan on doing.the electrician doesn't know about the app and bridge but said he could do this by installing a new switch in the garage for that light and then syncing the entry way switch with the garage switch but seems like extra work and hardware if I could just make that one garage fixture a smart fixture.any guidance on what to look at would be great.John

Convert existing hardwired outdoor light to a smart fixture

was thinking there me some device like this that could fit behind my existing light to be controlled by a Lutron switch through the bridge if that makes sense.https://www.amazon.com/acegoo-Wirele...AKBXH3Y98C0B2Y

Lutron has announced a repeater for Caseta. The plug-in dimmer/switch can also be used as a repeater (1/system). There are no specs yet for the repeater but if you place it as close as possible to the garage, it might work since there are minimal walls to penetrate. Repeaters can normally communicate over greater distances. You might be able to put the repeater in the garage and put the plug-in dimmer in the house. In either case you will need to add a dimmer/switch in the garage.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I would say - have the electrician install a simple dedicated switch for the light that is currently always on.Then you can easily replace it with a caseta switch or dimmer (whatever function you need) - then you can remotely control it from the caseta Hub/App and or a remote pico - placed wherever you want and/or set it up as a schedule on a timer/sunrise/sunset sync to only come on at dark. Alan