Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lutron CES 2020 - Announcements so far

Lutron CES 2020 - Announcements so far

Looks like the Caseta line is getting it's own motion sensor and also an extender!https://www.techhive.com/article/351...em-at-ces.html https://www.macrumors.com/2020/01/06...nsor-repeater/ https://www.slashgear.com/lutron-cas...hting-05605199 I put several links since some might be behind a pay wall or inaccessible.I for one will be picking up the motion sensors!!!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

As someone new to the smart-home / automation game, can someone help me understand the benefits of the forthcoming Caseta motion sensor over the non-smart MS-OPS2-XX switch (with built-in motion sensor) for a single-room application?In particular, I'd like to add occupancy detection to a couple bathrooms for auto on/off light control. It appears I can accomplish that for a fraction of the cost with the non- Caseta solution. I don't have (or want!) voice-assistants in my bathrooms, nor can I think of any use-case for operating my bathroom lights remotely via app or on any kind of schedule.Can folks share some ideas for how they plan to incorporate motion sensors into their Caseta-enabled homes? This stuff appeals to my techy/enhusiast nature, but I'm struggling to come up with real-world use cases :)

Quote Originally Posted by bretm View Post
    As someone new to the smart-home / automation game, can someone help me understand the benefits of the forthcoming Caseta motion sensor over the non-smart MS-OPS2-XX switch (with built-in motion sensor) for a single-room application?In particular, I'd like to add occupancy detection to a couple bathrooms for auto on/off light control. It appears I can accomplish that for a fraction of the cost with the non- Caseta solution. I don't have (or want!) voice-assistants in my bathrooms, nor can I think of any use-case for operating my bathroom lights remotely via app or on any kind of schedule.Can folks share some ideas for how they plan to incorporate motion sensors into their Caseta-enabled homes? This stuff appeals to my techy/enhusiast nature, but I'm struggling to come up with real-world use cases :)
    I haven't seen this particular sensor but based on the function of its look-alike cousins (Radio Powr Savr sensors) the sensor can work with multiple zones. Instead of turning 1 zone on when you walk in the kitchen, you can turn the entire kitchen on. By detaching the sensor from the dimmer/switch you have more flexibility in with placement. It should be easier to avoid false triggers from movement in the hall vs actual movement in the kitchen.

I'm not a fan of motion sensors inside the house. It seems like there are more reasons you don't want the lights to automatically come on than there are reasons you do want them to turn on. HOWEVER, there are a ton of posts on here where people do want that option.

As for controlling the lights in the bathrooms... whole home scenes like Goodnight, Goodbye, All Off, etc., and timed events can ensure that the lights get turned off.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I'm very excited about the possibilities this can bring. we have a bunch of lutron caseta switches everywhere and I've set up a lot of automations with apple's homekit. What I would love to do is to be able to walk into a room and have the lights/ a scene automatically trigger, but only at night. I know that the lutron sensor is for motion only but integration with homekit can fill in the day/night part. That would be truly awesome to have specific lights turn on and off as you wander around the house.

Thanks for the insights! Can you clarify terminology: Is a "zone" equivalent to a single "device" (e.g. switch/dimmer) in Caseta terms? I understand that a non-smart sensor + switch combination (obviously) only controls that single device, and a Caseta sensor could (presumably) be setup to trigger multiple devices, perhaps across several rooms. I see how that could have interesting applications for open-concept floor plans where you might want several devices to activate as you enter the area. But for a small-room (bathroom) application where I only want a sensor to control a single light (device), Caseta seems like overkill. Even the whole home "Goodnight" scene seems redundant -- the point of a vacancy sensor is to ensure that light is turned off long before I trigger the "Goodnight" scene.(Just thinking aloud here, and probably talking myself out of installing Caseta in every room throughout the house!)

People typically use the term "zone" for an individual set of lights, which would be an individual switch. While people have been asking for the sensor in Caseta, I feel the use case is minimal. Areas with multiple zones/switches would be needed for sensor to show it's true colors. For things like closets, bathrooms, and pantries, I often use the MSOPS2 and the MSCLOP dimming sensor. Far more cost effective, still provides "lighting control" in that things aren't left on. I used them extensively when Caseta was locked down at 50 devices. The addition of the repeater allows Caseta (with the 75 device limit) to reach much larger or complex homes. I do see that device as a huge benefit.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Just for clarification, the MS motion sensors would be stand alone devices not connected to your Caseta system correct? Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
    Just for clarification, the MS motion sensors would be stand alone devices not connected to your Caseta system correct? Or am I missing something?
    That is correct. I also prefer the Maestro timers for exhaust fans.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thank you! That is what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I like the idea for a exhaust fans!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast